Suggestions for 10 gallon-ish saltwater reservoir

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't like water changes and so I'd like to automate that process. I'm looking for some sort of reservoir to hold about 10 gallons of saltwater for an AWC with the plan of changing 1 gallon of water per day and to refill the waste and fresh reservoirs once a week.

I have roughly a 2'x2' location for this reservoir
Already own a separate ATO and also the waste container - so my question is solely about storing the fresh, mixed water
Needs to have little to no evaporation
Minimal maintenance
Budget would be $200 or less

My thoughts:

10 gallon petco tank with a lid?
I'm torn on this...cheap but the location would require me to 'slide' the reservoir in and out, evaporation an issue?

Trigger ATO system or equivalent - my current leading choice, but is the top of my budget

Jerry cans - looks promising, any suggestions?

Other?

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a similar container that I've used for a sump for the garage tank. It's been in service for many years without an issue. I drilled a hole for an automatic water top off float valve through the side and it hasn't leaked or failed. There are many similar totes available at the hardware store, I would get the one that fits your space best and that has ridgid sides to prevent warping when filled.

The same link to product here?

FoolishWizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't like water changes and so I'd like to automate that process. I'm looking for some sort of reservoir to hold about 10 gallons of saltwater for an AWC with the plan of changing 1 gallon of water per day and to refill the waste and fresh reservoirs once a week.

I have roughly a 2'x2' location for this reservoir
Already own a separate ATO and also the waste container - so my question is solely about storing the fresh, mixed water
Needs to have little to no evaporation
Minimal maintenance
Budget would be $200 or less

My thoughts:

10 gallon petco tank with a lid?
I'm torn on this...cheap but the location would require me to 'slide' the reservoir in and out, evaporation an issue?

Trigger ATO system or equivalent - my current leading choice, but is the top of my budget

Jerry cans - looks promising, any suggestions?

Other?
I went with (3) Trigger Systems reservoirs for my AWC system... Obviously overkill but I need to fit in a small area and look clean.

OP
OP
Gribbles

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a similar container that I've used for a sump for the garage tank. It's been in service for many years without an issue. I drilled a hole for an automatic water top off float valve through the side and it hasn't leaked or failed. There are many similar totes available at the hardware store, I would get the one that fits your space best and that has ridgid sides to prevent warping when filled.

The same link to product here?
beep boop beep

I was considering this. $20 is cheap enough (for me) to throw away if it doesn't work how I like.

Side note, your robot comment makes me wonder if ppl thought my dino posts were bot spam

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beep boop beep

I was considering this. $20 is cheap enough (for me) to throw away if it doesn't work how I like.

Side note, your robot comment makes me wonder if ppl thought my dino posts were bot spam
That text was added when I tried to link the walmart page? I think AI is messing with me. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: :cool:

I like these inexpensive options, no light to cause algae growth in the container and non-cracking durability. Not as pretty as the acrylic boxes but I would rather spend my coins on coral anyway.

I have a 5 gallon bucket for an ATO container in the garage. Works fine.

FoolishWizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you happen to have a picture? I've got 2 different small spaces I'm working with.

How come you need 3 triggers?
I use the AutoAqua Smart AWC Duo... Auto Water Change & Auto Top Off system so:
1 (5gal) for RODI top off
1 (5gal) for fresh salt water for AWC
1 (5gal) for waste salt water
See pic (tank still being set up at that time)... I think it was about 20" clear from left to right down there, the three fit perfect.
ATO Reservoirs.jpg

Ottoson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow
I use the AutoAqua Smart AWC Duo... Auto Water Change & Auto Top Off system so:
1 (5gal) for RODI top off
1 (5gal) for fresh salt water for AWC
1 (5gal) for waste salt water
See pic (tank still being set up at that time)... I think it was about 20" clear from left to right down there, the three fit perfect.
ATO Reservoirs.jpg
that's pretty clean man, well done. I use the same 5g trigger systems reservoir for RODI and its great so far

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 151 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%

Back