Suggestions for bringing down really High KH

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok, thanks. I will test the KH in the new water to see what it is. They also told me @ lfs that I shouldn't add all of the salt mix @ once in the bucket, 1 scoop @ a time then mix it, then repeat. Something about disapating elements. Never heard that before.
Time to seek a new LFS.

OP
OP
C

chad 1079

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to seek a new LFS.
Let me ask you this with the KH. I've got live sand and live rock in the tank but no corals or inverts yet. I've been wanting to add some softies(mushrooms and polyps) to the tank but it's been so screwed up I haven't dared. Is it true that once I have corals in the tank it'll pretty much take care of my high KH problem? Thanks!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Let me ask you this with the KH. I've got live sand and live rock in the tank but no corals or inverts yet. I've been wanting to add some softies(mushrooms and polyps) to the tank but it's been so screwed up I haven't dared. Is it true that once I have corals in the tank it'll pretty much take care of my high KH problem? Thanks!
To clarify. . . part of the problem is no corals. Once you add coral especially stony/sps type, they will consume alk and balance the level for you

OP
OP
C

chad 1079

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To clarify. . . part of the problem is no corals. Once you add coral especially stony/sps type, they will consume alk and balance the level for you
Thanks! Well that's good to know. That will at least take care of one tank. But my 210 is more predator(puffers, triggers, lionfish, Angels, stingray eventually) and i wasn't planning on getting any corals for it. For that tank is the only way to keep it down water changes and cutting back on ph increaseer if PH isn't too low?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks! Well that's good to know. That will at least take care of one tank. But my 210 is more predator(puffers, triggers, lionfish, Angels, stingray eventually) and i wasn't planning on getting any corals for it. For that tank is the only way to keep it down water changes and cutting back on ph increaseer if PH isn't too low?
best and safest way. Try a small box of instant ocean versus reef crystals and see if alk is lower

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it true that once I have corals in the tank it'll pretty much take care of my high KH problem? Thanks!

Many soft corals do not consume any alkalinity, while a few use a small amount to make internal spicules (leather corals, for example).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

pH increaser is a very poor way to raise pH in a low alk demand tank since it must raise alkalintiy. It also likely is not the best chemical for even that purpose. If you want to raise pH with a chemical, sodium hydroxide is the best you can do, but note that it also raises alkalinity.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got any suggestions for some hardy, low to moderate light corals that do?

I would not pick corals based on their alk lowering potential, since lowering alk is not hard, but some that may fit that description include:

Bubble coral (Plerogyra sinuosa)
Trumpet coral (Caulastrea furcata)
frogspawn (euphyllia)
Hammer Coral (Euphyllia ancora)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With patience, performing 20% water changes every 5 days will gradually bring it down But assure when you mix new water that the alk level is not already high from salt mix. One method I used that worked was adding small amounts of vinegar every 24 hours BUT if you do this, assure PH is not affected.

I do not recommend vinegar for this purpose, since as soon as the acetate is metabolized, all the alk comes back.

i recommend sodium bisulfate or hydrochloric acid for this purpose:

OP
OP
C

chad 1079

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not pick corals based on their alk lowering potential, since lowering alk is not hard, but some that may fit that description include:

frogspawn (euphyllia)

frogspawn (euphyllia)
Thanks for the suggestions. I've been trying to lower my Alk for while now, just trying to find something that may do it. Doing water changes when everything else is in balance is frustrating.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions. I've been trying to lower my Alk for while now, just trying to find something that may do it. Doing water changes when everything else is in balance is frustrating.

Lowering the alk in the new salt water to 1 or 2 dKH makes it a lot faster to lower alk by water change.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't expect most LFS employees to know this stuff. However, there is no law or rule against them doing so. In general, never believe the LFS without verification. Never believe anything printed on a bottle since there is a cocktail of products being sold that don't do much, others that do nothing and many that overstate or lie about what they do - other than calcium, alk and magnesium supplements, there is no reason to ever use anything in a bottle anyway.

Prime is one of those products that does not do what it says. Just get a cheap dechlorinator and use a drop or two if it and don't support SeaChem with your money, IMO.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I do not recommend vinegar for this purpose, since as soon as the acetate is metabolized, all the alk comes back.

i recommend sodium bisulfate or hydrochloric acid for this purpose:

Bisulfate, of course. . . forgot about that

OP
OP
C

chad 1079

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh okay thanks. I followed the link and have it in my Amazon cart. Thanks! How much do I want to use ? When I do water changes I use 5 gallon buckets . Also my magnesium is fairly low and it was recommended that if I increased it it may help bring down alkalinity and balance things out? It was suggested to me that if I were to add magnesium to the new saltwater before adding it to the tank that should drop the KH before putting it in the tank and that may be the safest way to lower it. Thoughts please

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 77.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back