Suggestions for bringing down really High KH

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Oh okay thanks. I followed the link and have it in my Amazon cart. Thanks! How much do I want to use ? When I do water changes I use 5 gallon buckets . Also my magnesium is fairly low and it was recommended that if I increased it it may help bring down alkalinity and balance things out? It was suggested to me that if I were to add magnesium to the new saltwater before adding it to the tank that should drop the KH before putting it in the tank and that may be the safest way to lower it. Thoughts please
You want to for sure dissolve it in Fresh water and add to sump in lieu of directly to the tank. General rule of thumb is a level teaspoon per 30 gallons

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh okay thanks. I followed the link and have it in my Amazon cart. Thanks! How much do I want to use ? When I do water changes I use 5 gallon buckets . Also my magnesium is fairly low and it was recommended that if I increased it it may help bring down alkalinity and balance things out? It was suggested to me that if I were to add magnesium to the new saltwater before adding it to the tank that should drop the KH before putting it in the tank and that may be the safest way to lower it. Thoughts please

Raising magnesium has no tendency to lower alk, so ignore that advice.

How much to use depends on the scenario, and how you use it.

I think dropping the alk pretty low in water change water is a fine plan. The lower it is, the less you need to lower tank alk.

Direct addition the the tank must be done extremely slowly.

OP
OP
C

chad 1079

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raising magnesium has no tendency to lower alk, so ignore that advice.

How much to use depends on the scenario, and how you use it.

I think dropping the alk pretty low in water change water is a fine plan. The lower it is, the less you need to lower tank alk.

Direct addition the the tank must be done extremely slowly.
Ok thanks Randy, I'll start off with like a quarter teaspoon per bucket to see what it brings it down too. Any recommendations for a easy to use/read fairly accurate KH tester ? I've got the Hanna(which I usually love there stuff) but it's really hard to see if I'm putting enough reagent in with the little syringe/ dark color of the reagent.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back