Suggestions for new skimmer

Allen Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 gallon Biocube that I drilled and have a sump in the stand. The total water volume is 40 to 45 gallons. I have a very old Euro Reef skimmer that is rated for 90 gallons in the sump. The skimmer has never done well on this set up, but for the last few months it has been hardly pulling any skim mate at all. I'm looking to buy an in sump skimmer that is rated for my size set up. I'm looking for suggestions for a good skimmer. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Mark Bianco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before any recommendations can be made it its important for us to know two things.

How large is the area you have to put in a skimmer in the sump?
What is the bio load of your tank? (Heavily stocked ect)

Mark

OP
OP
Allen Cox

Allen Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer section of my sump is 10 inches by 10 inches. I wouldn't say my bio load is high. I have two clowns, a bicolor Blennie, and a cleaner shrimp, some snails, and corals, in a 29 gallon

Mark Bianco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the water level adjustable on the skimmer section?
If not regardless of skimmer would recommend a stand, even if just egg crate and legs. Will provide more adjustment room if the compartment is towards the high end of the skimmers effective water level.

OP
OP
Allen Cox

Allen Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garett Elliot, no the water level is not adjustable. Are the reef octopus skimmers better than the Tunze skimmers?

OP
OP
Allen Cox

Allen Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water level in my skimmer section is not adjustable. Are the reef octopus skimmers better than the Tunze skimmers?

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for the Reef Octopus 110SSS. I have the 150SSS on my 75g. Really liking it so far. Its going to be a beast once I have a bio load in the tank, already skims like crazy with no live stock in the tank. Very quiet as well.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost any Euro Reef skimmer is oversized for your setup and it will perform poorly. It would be like a nurse coming in with a 5 gallon bucket for a tick test and tell to fill it up. There is a guy from NY City that rock a Bio Cube and he is now selling it I would copy what he did. If I find the thread I will share it with you.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use a smaller skimmer that's rated for your size tank. Don't over size it if you want it to perform normally. You have a light bioload. Maybe AquaMaxx NF-1? The AquaMaxx WS-1 is a good skimmer but may be to big.

Last edited:

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to ask . With that size of tank what are your Nutrient levels. Water change regime and so on. Maybe your skimmer is not pulling much because there is Nothing for it to pull out. Also a skimmer over sized will never work correctly..

With the issues and maintenance of a skimmer i would not use one on such a small tank..Water changes would be a much better solution in my opinion ..

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 gallon Biocube that I drilled and have a sump in the stand. The total water volume is 40 to 45 gallons. I have a very old Euro Reef skimmer that is rated for 90 gallons in the sump. The skimmer has never done well on this set up, but for the last few months it has been hardly pulling any skim mate at all. I'm looking to buy an in sump skimmer that is rated for my size set up. I'm looking for suggestions for a good skimmer. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

What is the problem with the skimmer?
1) Not making enough bubbles and/or not adjustable enough?
A) Get a new skimmer
2)makes good bubbles but no skimmate?
A) Your skimmer is too big for your water volume. If this is the case and it makes any skimmate at all, that probably all you can expect from a clean running 29g cube that isn't overstocked.

OP
OP
Allen Cox

Allen Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to ask . With that size of tank what are your Nutrient levels. Water change regime and so on. Maybe your skimmer is not pulling much because there is Nothing for it to pull out. Also a skimmer over sized will never work correctly..

With the issues and maintenance of a skimmer i would not use one on such a small tank..Water changes would be a much better solution in my opinion ..
I'm not sure what my nutrient levels are because I have not tested in a while. I have been doing a 10 gallon water change ever week. I'm assuming I have either high nitrates or Phosphates because I am having a bad hair algae problem.

OP
OP
Allen Cox

Allen Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the problem with the skimmer?
1) Not making enough bubbles and/or not adjustable enough?
A) Get a new skimmer
2)makes good bubbles but no skimmate?
A) Your skimmer is too big for your water volume. If this is the case and it makes any skimmate at all, that probably all you can expect from a clean running 29g cube that isn't overstocked.

It is not making enough bubbles. Maybe I need to clean the pump or something, but even when it was making more bubbles I wasn't getting much skimmate. Now I'm just not getting anything.

Simplicity Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with a vinegar bath of the pump, as well as a good hot rinse of the air system (venturi, tubing, silencer if there is one). Once clean blow into the air silencer and make sure its easy for air to move through it without resistance.

slayertx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to state I bought a simplicity aquatics skimmer almost a year ago and it's been running strong with no problems.

slayertx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to state I bought a simplicity aquatics skimmer almost a year ago and it's been running strong with no problems.

slayertx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back