Suggestions for starting a new tank?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Kerinin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning to start up a tank that's been in the basement for a few years and the Triton method sounds very appealing. Is there a recommended process for setting up new tanks? I've seen a some discussions of switching established tanks to Triton, and a lot of information about running a tank, but I haven't seen much discussion of how to get a tank started. For example:

* Is an initial "cycling" period without livestock or macroalgae recommended, and if so for how long?
* Are there any special considerations around having a small amount of coral in the tank initially?
* What is the recommended order and timeframe for introducing algae, lifestock, and corals?

For context, my tank is a 36g AIO - I'm planning to remove the built in rear sump, drill the tank and plumb the overflow to a Trigger Triton 26 sump. The display tank lights are a pair of Kessil 160's, and I'm planning to use a Kessil H80 for the fuge. Return pump is a Sicce 2.0 (~400GPH so just over 10x the DT volume). The skimmer is rated for a system ~4x this size.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have started two new tanks with the Triton method.

Cycling and the addition of livestock is the same as it has been for years.
Complete your nitrogen cycle. Start the method using the minimum dosage and test your water for the big three and keep track.and add your first fish and coral.
Send in an ICP test after a few weeks and see what the results say.
Once you start to see real nutrients building up start you sump algae.
My Chateo did not do well the first few months on start up one, so I waited two months on tank 2 and had immediate results. YMMV.

Right or wrong thats how I did it and it worked for me.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry time frames.
The nitrogen cycle takes what it takes, 3 weeks on the short, some could be 8, depends on many factors.
After the cycle add first fish, and coral, along with the method.
Tsst and dial in you dosage over a month or so and then send in your ICP test. From that point add your algae.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back