Suggestions? : Leaking returns of Reefer 450

Machpoint89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

I have recently moved and was going to start a rebuild thread of my Reefer 450, but before I can do that i have ran into an issue and wondering if there are any suggestions.

I was wondering if anyone has mover a Reefer system before and had any plumbing issues?
I'm trying to hard plumb the return line and ironically my own plumbing is the only thing that is NOT leaking.

It seems to be an issue on the bottom side of the cabinet when the drain pipes are "pushed" in and tightened in place with a fairly weak nut.

I have used Teflon tape and got it down to a slow drip, but long term I need it to stay dry.

Contacted RedSea and waiting a reply. ANY tips or hints would be appreciated.

Greetings from the sandbox.

IMG_20161201_214439_HDR_zpsfwomx2bb.jpg

✈ Sent from my Commodore 64

Last edited:

Wrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's anything like the Reefer 250 I have the threaded parts have nothing to do with creating a seal. There should be an o-ring on the fitting which is what gives you the seal, and the threaded collar is just there to keep things held together. Try replacing this o-ring and possibly even one slightly thicker (but don't go overboard on a thicker o-ring or it will be a nightmare to get together properly).

I have no idea on part numbers. From what I've seen so far Red Sea absolutely sucks at providing the actual details on each part for people who are interested in trying to retrofit. Luckily it isn't so bad to jury rig stuff.

OP
OP
Machpoint89

Machpoint89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's anything like the Reefer 250 I have the threaded parts have nothing to do with creating a seal. There should be an o-ring on the fitting which is what gives you the seal, and the threaded collar is just there to keep things held together. Try replacing this o-ring and possibly even one slightly thicker (but don't go overboard on a thicker o-ring or it will be a nightmare to get together properly).

I have no idea on part numbers. From what I've seen so far Red Sea absolutely sucks at providing the actual details on each part for people who are interested in trying to retrofit. Luckily it isn't so bad to jury rig stuff.
Ah yes I agree it's to hold the pipe in place not to seal. I think those o-rings are fine for a first install, but once you removed it once they get a bit loose I guess.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll try to check if I can get any larger rings. Probably a bit of a challenge in Dubai. Not like we have a home Depot. [emoji12]

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try lubing the o-ring with o-ring grease, BRS sells it. I always lube o-ring anytime it is moved or relocated/serviced.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also can replace the whole union as we talking about this right?
Use some silicone grease on the O-rings when or if rubber parts are used.

OP
OP
Machpoint89

Machpoint89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also can replace the whole union as we talking about this right?
Use some silicone grease on the O-rings when or if rubber parts are used.
It's not a union the pipes are pushed in to place and then a nut just holds it in place, but not to seal.

Previously I didn't even use Teflon tape for first install. Now I had to to prevent a water fall.

Hadn't thought about the o-ring lube.. I've used Vaseline in the past for my helicopter o rings. If I'm not name to order it.

Anything stateside will take a week or two, but want to do it properly.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you.
So we talking a quick connect coupling here?

Wrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a union the pipes are pushed in to place and then a nut just holds it in place, but not to seal.

Previously I didn't even use Teflon tape for first install. Now I had to to prevent a water fall.

Hadn't thought about the o-ring lube.. I've used Vaseline in the past for my helicopter o rings. If I'm not name to order it.

Anything stateside will take a week or two, but want to do it properly.

If you have any stores that sell faucets you may likely find silicone lube and o-rings in a few sizes. The o-rings do stretch but don't waste your time with one that's too big it's a battle not worth fighting. As for the lube it's certainly nice and I throw some lube on everything but it's not entirely necessary and isn't in itself going to give you a better seal. It will however make it easier to move things around while getting it in place but that's the extent of it.

OP
OP
Machpoint89

Machpoint89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you.
So we talking a quick connect coupling here?

Sort of. Maybe this will get you an idea. It's leaking at the connections that are being pushed in.

If you have any stores that sell faucets you may likely find silicone lube and o-rings in a few sizes.

Thanks Wrasse. for the ideas and tips.

redsea%20reefer%20plumbing_zpscjih2k4y.png

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back