Suggestions on build / approach (nano)

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 14 gallon Nuvo. I currently have a Kessil a160 with an arm mount. I also have a Tunze ato. The tank itself comes with a 326 GPH return pump

I want to start a set up with live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater. I hope to start and stay FOWL with a pair of clowns for at least a year

As I begin to build my tank, I take into consideration that the only times I really have to work on the tank would be on Sundays and perhaps an afternoon in the weekday

My goal is to keep the tank as simple as possible, perhaps even minimal. I am considering keeping this tank FOWLR and learning first to combat algal issues and nutrient control.

i would love to keep FOWLR and not have to test any elements but I think coral add to fish health

Anyone have an approach that could aid with this ? Would love to hear your guys methods !

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a pretty straight forward goal and I cannot see any reason for issues. With no coral you can run that light pretty low to keep algae in check. Even if you lose control and algae gets out of hand you could just use an algaecide.

ChrisPPolys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been keeping nano tanks for years. Started with a simple 10 gallon tank before high school.
After graduating college I purchased a 12 or 14 gallon biocube.(can’t remember which it was) Ran that for years until upgrading to the 32 I currently have. Over the 12/14 gallon I used a Kessil a80 tuna blue after getting rid of the stock lid. It was home to a clownfish, cleaner shrimp and a wide variety of soft corals. Now I run a Hydra 32 over my biocube which has been up and running about 4 years. I keep it very minimal when it comes to reefing. Started with live rock and sand and really just tackled problems when they arose.
I haven’t tested my water in about 3 years aside from salinity and I use strictly tap water.
Besides cleaning the glass with a mag float when I can, I do a weekly or bi weekly water change. That is it for maintenance. I top off the tank with tap water when I see its level has dropped to a certain point about once a day or once every other day in the summertime. No RODI, ATO, calcium reactor, doser etc. Tank is algae free, home to a clownfish, 6 line wrasse, yellow tail damsel. Variety of CUC, for corals have encrusting Monti, mushrooms, torches, leathers, hammers, Duncan’s, scolys and more.

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a pretty straight forward goal and I cannot see any reason for issues. With no coral you can run that light pretty low to keep algae in check. Even if you lose control and algae gets out of hand you could just use an algaecide.
Yes, I’d go FOWLR for until I get more comfortable with the tank.

I hope to actually run into any algal issues before I get any soft coral, in order to learn about them and how to combat

Also, how do you stay calm when problems arise ? It’s definitely easier without coral to stay calm

ChrisPPolys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I hope to actually run into any algal issues before I get any soft coral, in order to learn about them and how to combat

Also, how do you stay calm when problems arise ? It’s definitely easier without coral to stay calm
Running into Algae issues is inevitable my friend. It will happen regardless of what equipment you have on the tank.
Nothing in our hobby happens over night, so when the problems arrive I stay calm and research a solution.
My LFS has been a great source of information. In the past I’ve gone in and described the issue to him. He’s then recommended taking photos to show him in order to better assess the situation and recommend solutions. Between that great LFS owner, R2R, YouTube and other online information there’s no problem you can’t solve.

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been keeping nano tanks for years. Started with a simple 10 gallon tank before high school.
After graduating college I purchased a 12 or 14 gallon biocube.(can’t remember which it was) Ran that for years until upgrading to the 32 I currently have.

I actually started my previous tank my junior year, currently 21

Over the 12/14 gallon I used a Kessil a80 tuna blue after getting rid of the stock lid. It was home to a clownfish, cleaner shrimp and a wide variety of soft corals. Now I run a Hydra 32 over my biocube which has been up and running about 4 years.

I get overwhelmed at times, I definitely want to keep it slow

I keep it very minimal when it comes to reefing. Started with live rock and sand and really just tackled problems when they arose.
I haven’t tested my water in about 3 years aside from salinity and I use strictly tap water.
Besides cleaning the glass with a mag float when I can, I do a weekly or bi weekly water change. That is it for maintenance. I top off the tank with tap water when I see its level has dropped to a certain point about once a day or once every other day in the summertime.

I do have an ATO from Tunze to keep salinity in check. I’m good about doing water changes.

No RODI, ATO, calcium reactor, doser etc. Tank is algae free, home to a clownfish, 6 line wrasse, yellow tail damsel. Variety of CUC, for corals have encrusting Monti, mushrooms, torches, leathers, hammers, Duncan’s, scolys and more.

I enjoy Euphyllia. It’s possible to keep levels up while not dosing and keeping stonies?

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Algae is annoying but unless you totally let it get out of hand it’s not going to do any permanent damage. Remembering that should help you stay calm. That and you need to take a step back if aquarium algae causes you genuine anxiety.

ChrisPPolys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually started my previous tank my junior year, currently 21

I get overwhelmed at times, I definitely want to keep it slow

I do have an ATO from Tunze to keep salinity in check. I’m good about doing water changes.

I enjoy Euphyllia. It’s possible to keep levels up while not dosing and keeping stonies?
Ayy glad to see another reefer my age. Im not bashing the new equipment, it’s supposed to help. That being said I’m just old school and have never used it. I do not dose anything and my hammers, torches(euphylia) are doing great. It is 100% possible. I also have stonies that are thriving without dosing. It just comes down to a weekly water change.

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running into Algae issues is inevitable my friend. It will happen regardless of what equipment you have on the tank.

Oh for sure. It’s stuff like bryopsis that scare me, maybe I’m over my head on the worries

Nothing in our hobby happens over night, so when the problems arrive I stay calm and research a solution.

I appreciate the wisdom. Slow and steady wins the race, this race never ends however

My LFS has been a great source of information. In the past I’ve gone in and described the issue to him. He’s then recommended taking photos to show him in order to better assess the situation and recommend solutions. Between that great LFS owner, R2R, YouTube and other online information there’s no problem you can’t solve.

I’ve learned documentation in the hobby is vital for others to better aid us in our issues

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae is annoying but unless you totally let it get out of hand it’s not going to do any permanent damage. Remembering that should help you stay calm. That and you need to take a step back if aquarium algae causes you genuine anxiety.

Sometimes I worry if I don’t act, I may not catch issues on time. Maybe I need to take many steps back lol

ChrisPPolys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh for sure. It’s stuff like bryopsis that scare me, maybe I’m over my head on the worries

I appreciate the wisdom. Slow and steady wins the race, this race never ends however

I’ve learned documentation in the hobby is vital for others to better aid us in our issues
Absolutely, I forgot to mention, when the LFS owner would recommend a photo to better assess what was going on. He’d also tell me to return with the pictures and a sample of my water. Documentation 100% helps.

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ayy glad to see another reefer my age.

Hey ! Are you from the US ?

Im not bashing the new equipment, it’s supposed to help. That being said I’m just old school and have never used it. I do not dose anything and my hammers, torches(euphylia) are doing great. It is 100% possible. I also have stonies that are thriving without dosing. It just comes down to a weekly water change.

I think simple is always doable, I just don’t see it often and I wish i did.

I was under the impression that water changes never replenished elements 100%, only slowed down the consumption

ChrisPPolys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey ! Are you from the US ?

I think simple is always doable, I just don’t see it often and I wish i did.

I was under the impression that water changes never replenished elements 100%, only slowed down the consumption
Yes I am I’m from Rhode Island. I’m not sure whether or not they 100% replenish the elements (I haven’t tested my water in over 4 years besides salinity) that being said they do replenish depleted levels.
I go with a 5 gallon water change for my 32 gallon biocube and it has always done the job!

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The tap water top off is crazy to me! @ChrisPPolys your TDS must be real clean coming out the faucet. I’m in Eastern Long Island and I get around 30-35 TDS. Pretty sure there’s some chloramines and other fun stuff in there. One thing I do want to try in the future is an NSW pico or nano since the Atlantic is right there.

ChrisPPolys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is my goal. Journaling and pictures !
At this point I use more visual q’s than testing water. Seeing an over abundance of bristle worms? Cut back on the feeding. An exponential growth of algae on the glass? Light intensity may be too high. As The_Paradox mentioned acting too fast can often time get people in trouble. Stay calm cool and collective and enjoy the ride!
Also remember if you’re going to change something that change to your system will take time to adjust. So I’d recommend against changing something (flow, lighting etc) checking out the tank and then changing it again the following day.
Give your system time to adjust to the changes you make.
I also like to change one thing at a time if I’m going to change anything at all. That way it’s easier to pin point what change had effects on what. As opposed to taking a shot in the dark and guessing this change had an affect on that.

ChrisPPolys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tap water top off is crazy to me! @ChrisPPolys your TDS must be real clean coming out the faucet. I’m in Eastern Long Island and I get around 30-35 TDS. Pretty sure there’s some chloramines and other fun stuff in there. One thing I do want to try in the future is an NSW pico or nano since the Atlantic is right there.
That’s what everyone tells me! Lol
Going on 12 years in the hobby in three different states and tap water has never failed me yet. I live in a not so nice city where politicians have ironically been talking about renovating the water lines so who knows.
When I find where Rhode Island ranks amongst the 50 states in terms of water quality I hear conflicting answers.

I’ve also heard your towns TDS can be great but by the time the water makes it to your faucet it’s changed a lot.
Years ago I started by using saltwater from the LFS to do water changes. That, or the 5 gallon boxes of reef crystal water which were very expensive. However, you never want to turn a hobby into a chore! I found that to get annoying quick and then transitioned over to tap water where I’ve never experienced any issues.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back