Suggestions on build / approach (nano)

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you've got the first two stages of an RODI. That is where the majority of 'cleaning' is done. So you've removed most the TDS and I'm not surprised you've had great results.

Santa Monica has been making that same algae scrubber forever. Clearly they must work.

BOYERZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BOYERZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230603_183722.jpg

Yang’s Blue Paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any nano FOWLR / soft coral tank pics ?

IMG_0060.jpeg

My IM 15G a month ago. Set up a new tank. I dose All For Reef on an automatic dozer and water change once a week. Pretty much all I do nothing too complicated beyond that.

^^ my first tank 1 year into this hobby. I’d say doing pretty amazing with these colors

Last edited:

Yang’s Blue Paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard AFR is a hit or miss with some systems as some reefs uptake elements differently

I don't follow this and end up pipetting in about 1ml every other day. So yes, some instinct but not entirely cowboy chemistry!

I’m still relatively a beginner. My Jedi instincts are quite week. May the force be with me soon

Question, how does one simply begin dosing when going with stonies ? In my head, my idea would be to test one element, starting with Alkalinity and dosing alk and eventually calcium and dosing cal.

Would this be a ‘taking it one step at a time, in a responsible way’ approach or a ‘cmon dude just test both’ situation
With a Nano doing water change can easily fix any problem regarding trace elements.

With my new build 50.3 Im still using all for reef and doing weekly water change. Roughly 20% every week should fix most problems. Just need to be diligent.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you've got the first two stages of an RODI. That is where the majority of 'cleaning' is done. So you've removed most the TDS and I'm not surprised you've had great results.

Santa Monica has been making that same algae scrubber forever. Clearly they must work.
He makes a few different styles, everyone I’ve tried has worked successfully. The surf I have was bought 10 years ago and still is a current model and works great.

I also have a slip.7 which is <I believe> the newest model and made to slip in a rear chamber for all in one nano tanks. I have it in the middle compartment of chamber 2 for a Waterbox 15.

And yea rather than deal with the time needed to make rodi, and all the waste, I spent around 800$ and have my entire house getting sediment and carbon filtration, 2 stage filtration on demand from any faucet in my house.

If you want to reduce time spent, I recommend both of these things.

Attachments

• 92DC58E8-3D93-413E-BCA3-A15E23F645AB.jpeg
    92DC58E8-3D93-413E-BCA3-A15E23F645AB.jpeg
    285.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 1D36ED7F-9DF1-44CC-9E73-D639EDD44457.jpeg
    1D36ED7F-9DF1-44CC-9E73-D639EDD44457.jpeg
    191 KB · Views: 23
  • 49898939-F3A7-44CA-9045-430DE616B8AF.jpeg
    49898939-F3A7-44CA-9045-430DE616B8AF.jpeg
    284.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 2D10AF97-02B4-41D8-B6F9-D9338396966F.jpeg
    2D10AF97-02B4-41D8-B6F9-D9338396966F.jpeg
    179.2 KB · Views: 21

Yang’s Blue Paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 14 gallon Nuvo. I currently have a Kessil a160 with an arm mount. I also have a Tunze ato. The tank itself comes with a 326 GPH return pump

I want to start a set up with live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater. I hope to start and stay FOWL with a pair of clowns for at least a year

As I begin to build my tank, I take into consideration that the only times I really have to work on the tank would be on Sundays and perhaps an afternoon in the weekday

My goal is to keep the tank as simple as possible, perhaps even minimal. I am considering keeping this tank FOWLR and learning first to combat algal issues and nutrient control.

i would love to keep FOWLR and not have to test any elements but I think coral add to fish health

Anyone have an approach that could aid with this ? Would love to hear your guys methods !
Recently I watch Reefbuilder pro cast remy got TB rocks and sand it came with Uronema. Personally I went with all dry and added bacteria to avoid the nasty coming from the ocean. Although comes with the trade off of more ugly algae during the initial set up.

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I you are going to start really slow, I don't know that super expensive live rock is a great investment. You may as well start with dry rock.

ChrisPPolys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did read your replies and I'm suggesting that after several years of tap water now there would be a difference.

I'm just putting the idea out there. Not trying to give you a hard time.
Maybe when I set up a new system, I like the old saying if it’s not broke don’t fix it! Haha

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0060.jpeg

My IM 15G a month ago. Set up a new tank. I dose All For Reef on an automatic dozer and water change once a week. Pretty much all I do nothing too complicated beyond that.

^^ my first tank 1 year into this hobby. I’d say doing pretty amazing with these colors
That is beautiful my friend. I used to have a beautiful hammer garden that was destroyed by what I believe was Brown Jelly Disease.

Also bryopsis around my coral, which made them upset

I love this

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a Nano doing water change can easily fix any problem regarding trace elements.

My favorite part of a tank has to be water changes.

I find making a bucket of RODI, adding a heater / power head, and salt partnered with a refractometer to ensure the salt is at the right specific gravity very easy and relaxing

Siphoning out the water and slowing dumping new water in to me is quite simple and therapeutic
With my new build 50.3 Im still using all for reef and doing weekly water change. Roughly 20% every week should fix most problems. Just need to be diligent.
Awesome

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He makes a few different styles, everyone I’ve tried has worked successfully. The surf I have was bought 10 years ago and still is a current model and works great.

I also have a slip.7 which is <I believe> the newest model and made to slip in a rear chamber for all in one nano tanks. I have it in the middle compartment of chamber 2 for a Waterbox 15.

Wow a mini algae scrubber, never seen one that fits in a back chamber of an All In One. I like the idea of a scrubber but never used one

And yea rather than deal with the time needed to make rodi, and all the waste, I spent around 800$ and have my entire house getting sediment and carbon filtration, 2 stage filtration on demand from any faucet in my house.
Assuming it reads 0 TDS, this is awesome. Changes ‘Tap Water’ into RODI water. I’m sure your media becomes exhausted quickly
If you want to reduce time spent, I recommend both of these things.

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I watch Reefbuilder pro cast remy got TB rocks and sand it came with Uronema. Personally I went with all dry and added bacteria to avoid the nasty coming from the ocean. Although comes with the trade off of more ugly algae during the initial set up.
Live Rock has its trade Offs I believe. Once the issues in the beginning get handled, I’m sure the benefit of such a diverse colony of micro fauna reaps greater rewards

I say ‘I’m sure’ because that is what I’ve heard, never tried live rock…yet

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I you are going to start really slow, I don't know that super expensive live rock is a great investment. You may as well start with dry rock.
What is your thought process behind this if you don’t mind me asking? In my brain, Live Rock has real estate already taken, thus making it hard for the ‘bad stuff’ such as pestilence (bad algae) to take over.

While on the topic, does anyone know of a thread that goes into detail over this topic ?

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You've just run yours with Cheato or have you used the screen and let it start it's own turf ?

I'm just setting up a WB 20 AIO this weekend so the Slip 7 looks interesting. Thanks for the info !

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've just run yours with Cheato or have you used the screen and let it start it's own turf ?
I believe what most do is scrap or sand the screen mesh rough to make it easier for algae to adhere. Paired with the red light, algae will easily grow in the ‘box’ (Algae Scrubber).

Some seed the screen with existing algae from their tank and stick it in the mesh screen to ‘spark’ growth.
I'm just setting up a WB 20 AIO this weekend so the Slip 7 looks interesting. Thanks for the info !
I think it’s best to wait until you’re tank produces the nitrates to grow this stuff

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The slip can be used as algae reactor or a fief scrubber depending on how you set it up, owning the unit it’s actually a well thought out product. You can remove the lid and provide water flow from a chambers overflow wall, or you can use a small water pump, or an air pump. You can also choose to have the water or air come in from the top or bottom of the unit

Some choices limit the applications but it’s pretty cool this one box can support so many different setup methods.

I’m using a air pump that has a built in battery backup, and sending air in from the top inlet. It’s setup as a turf scrubber. It grew its own turf on the screen and didn’t need to be seeded

The light inside is 1000 par of red 660nm light. It will burn algae at first. Adding to the modular design, the screen is reversible and one side has a wall built in that limits light to the screen itself, and SM includes a black plastic mesh that reduces light from 3/5 of the leds. This allows you to get a good algae colony and then you can start fiddling and increase lighting by flipping things or removing the mesh screen

Fits perfect in chamber 2 of my Waterbox 15 peninsula

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe what most do is scrap or sand the screen mesh rough to make it easier for algae to adhere. Paired with the red light, algae will easily grow in the ‘box’ (Algae Scrubber).

Some seed the screen with existing algae from their tank and stick it in the mesh screen to ‘spark’ growth.

I think it’s best to wait until you’re tank produces the nitrates to grow this stuff
Oh I've run a couple of different Turf scrubbers before but not with a Nano. And yes, I'm weeks away from needing it.
The slip can be used as algae reactor or a fief scrubber depending on how you set it up, owning the unit it’s actually a well thought out product.
The option to find which method your tank supports is great. I've found that Cheato is easy but turf can be more effective. At least that's been my experience.

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your thought process behind this if you don’t mind me asking? In my brain, Live Rock has real estate already taken, thus making it hard for the ‘bad stuff’ such as pestilence (bad algae) to take over.

While on the topic, does anyone know of a thread that goes into detail over this topic ?
Live rock also introduces hitchikers and can introduce plenty of nuisance algae and potentially disease. You just don't know. It's coming from the ocean. It's good for a faster start, but if you start with dead rock and live bacteria, by the time you want to introduce corals in a year there won't be any difference in it's ability to manage the bio load. Other's may have different opinions, but that is mine. Both ways are ok, I just don't see the value in the huge expenditure for a tank that won't add coral for a year or more.

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock also introduces hitchikers and can introduce plenty of nuisance algae and potentially disease. You just don't know. It's coming from the ocean.

Well, if anyone introduces coral and/or inverts into their tank, as well as any fish without QT everything that is wet, disease and or pest will eventually make it into your tank

Anyways each person has their preference, I need to do more research on the topic but ocean rock IMO has less biological real estate for pestilence to take over
Both ways are ok, I just don't see the value in the huge expenditure for a tank that won't add coral for a year or more.

That is true, while on the topic, what’s able to fit into a 14 gallon ?

I plan on two clownfish

Perhaps down the line, is a neon goby an option?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back