Suggestions on filter media in 32 G BioCube

kaijor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I was hoping for some suggestions for media for my 32 G biocube. I currently have the intank media basket and fuge baskets. I was just curious what worked for everyone and what your suggestions would be. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If it helps, I'm planning on putting a mantis shrimp in the tank (as soon as the tank is cycled of course). Thanks!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'll see if I have room in chamber 1. I'm not sure if I do since I have a protein skimmer and heater there. And thank you for your help!

I just said chamber 1 since usually it is empty but in this case the pump chamber would probably be fine. They also make a liquid version too if you want to dose it once a week.

Basically, waste away is a bunch of bacteria that likes to consume crud, which then becomes their body mass. Now that crud that would normally break down into nitrogen compounds and phosphate are no longer doing so as much and thus algae has less nitrogen and phosphorus to use for themselves.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kaijor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just said chamber 1 since usually it is empty but in this case the pump chamber would probably be fine. They also make a liquid version too if you want to dose it once a week.

Basically, waste away is a bunch of bacteria that likes to consume crud, which then becomes their body mass. Now that crud that would normally break down into nitrogen compounds and phosphate are no longer doing so as much and thus algae has less nitrogen and phosphorus to use for themselves.
Oh ok that makes a lot of sense! Thank you.

In terms of tests that I should get as my tank is cycling, any recommendations on that? I'll get all the test eventually, but they are a bit expensive.

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok that makes a lot of sense! Thank you.

In terms of tests that I should get as my tank is cycling, any recommendations on that? I'll get all the test eventually, but they are a bit expensive.

Do you have an LFS near you? Usually they can test that for free. You don't need to spend much on ammonia or nitrite tests as they are rarely used after a tank has cycled initially. There are plenty of cheaper ones out there. Some get crap talked a lot on here such as the API but that is because 0 looks like 0.25ppm on the ammonia test which confuses people. Really any will do (just avoid strip tests)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kaijor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an LFS near you? Usually they can test that for free. You don't need to spend much on ammonia or nitrite tests as they are rarely used after a tank has cycled initially. There are plenty of cheaper ones out there. Some get crap talked a lot on here such as the API but that is because 0 looks like 0.25ppm on the ammonia test which confuses people. Really any will do (just avoid strip tests)
Oh yeah, I have API master kit. It include nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, and ph tests. I would need tests for the other chemicals. I'm thinking I'll get these cheaper test kits then work my way up to the more expensive ones. Thank you again for your help.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kaijor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for my own understanding, why wouldn't you add bio media if you include refugium? I thought the point of cycling is to get the good bacteria, but doesn't the good bacteria have to reside somewhere? Could someone possibly explain this to me?

Edit: I guess my question is where would the bacteria reside then?

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for my own understanding, why wouldn't you add bio media if you include refugium? I thought the point of cycling is to get the good bacteria, but doesn't the good bacteria have to reside somewhere? Could someone possibly explain this to me?

Edit: I guess my question is where would the bacteria reside then?

The bacteria simply requires a surface. Your rocn and sand provide more than enough srea for the cycling bacteria. A refugium is for macroalgae to grow which lowers nitrate and phosphate, increase pH, and adds oxygen.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kaijor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria simply requires a surface. Your rocn and sand provide more than enough srea for the cycling bacteria. A refugium is for macroalgae to grow which lowers nitrate and phosphate, increase pH, and adds oxygen.
Thank you for clarifying this! It makes a lot sense now.

Upvote 0

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok great, thank you

Where do you put the waste away gels? Like, would they go in the bottom or the top?
I wouldn’t use waste away gel for a new tank . That more for if you have a buildup of crud in a mature tank , personally I never use the stuff as a good cuc and tank husbandry keeps you from needing such a product

Upvote 0

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be your suggestion on how to set-up the refugium for 32 G Biocube?

I wouldn’t use waste away gel for a new tank . That more for if you have a buildup of crud in a mature tank , personally I never use the stuff as a good cuc and tank husbandry keeps you from needing such a product
Design your tank with a natural sediment area and then suck it out hehe plus a good cuc and your gtg

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back