Suggestions on filter media in 32 G BioCube

kaijor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I was hoping for some suggestions for media for my 32 G biocube. I currently have the intank media basket and fuge baskets. I was just curious what worked for everyone and what your suggestions would be. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If it helps, I'm planning on putting a mantis shrimp in the tank (as soon as the tank is cycled of course). Thanks!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use the refugium, then I would simply add some quality carbon and a filter pad. I'd possibly consider some waste away gel packs

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kaijor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after some research, I'm thinking of putting a bag of GFO and ROX on the top of my media basket along with Purigen on the bottom. Any thoughts on this?

Upvote 0

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after some research, I'm thinking of putting a bag of GFO and ROX on the top of my media basket along with Purigen on the bottom. Any thoughts on this?
What are your parameters? This has a lot to do with what to add to the media basket.

If you have high po4, then GFO is OK. Just have to make sure not to put too much, as you do not want to bottom it out.

If you are running a fuge, GFO may not even be needed. But need to know NO3 number also. If it is already low, fuge may not work well.

Carbon is fine either way.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kaijor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters? This has a lot to do with what to add to the media basket.

If you have high po4, then GFO is OK. Just have to make sure not to put too much, as you do not want to bottom it out.

If you are running a fuge, GFO may not even be needed. But need to know NO3 number also. If it is already low, fuge may not work well.

Carbon is fine either way.
Oh ok, so I really should get started with cycling the tank first (I haven't done this yet). Then I should add more media after water changes? Is this correct?

Upvote 0

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok, so I really should get started with cycling the tank first (I haven't done this yet). Then I should add more media after water changes? Is this correct?
Get tank going, then once cycled, water change done to drop nitrates down from after cycling, then evaluate your prameters to determine what media will be best suited for keeping your numbers where you want them.

You are going to get a 100 different recommendations for where to keep numbers, so aim for something close to what your salt mixes at for Alk, Calcium and Mag. This ensures an emergency water change will not mess those up, if one has to be done.

For NO3 and PO4, it all depends on what you want to keep in the tank. IMO, 5-10 NO3 and 0.8-.1 PO4 is a good starting point for most corals. PO4 could be a tad lower with no issues and so could NO3, trick is not have them at 0, as that leads to dinos. Too high and excessive algae. In a biocube 32, until fully stocked, a little on the lower side may be better. But clean up crew can also help with the uglies in the beginning.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kaijor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get tank going, then once cycled, water change done to drop nitrates down from after cycling, then evaluate your prameters to determine what media will be best suited for keeping your numbers where you want them.

You are going to get a 100 different recommendations for where to keep numbers, so aim for something close to what your salt mixes at for Alk, Calcium and Mag. This ensures an emergency water change will not mess those up, if one has to be done.

For NO3 and PO4, it all depends on what you want to keep in the tank. IMO, 5-10 NO3 and 0.8-.1 PO4 is a good starting point for most corals. PO4 could be a tad lower with no issues and so could NO3, trick is not have them at 0, as that leads to dinos. Too high and excessive algae. In a biocube 32, until fully stocked, a little on the lower side may be better. But clean up crew can also help with the uglies in the beginning.
Ok, I'll do this then. Thank you very much. In terms of what I'll be keeping, my ultimate goal is to keep Mantis Shrimp only. As such, I don't want too many coral. I'm still deciding on what type of coral to put that would be compatible with a Mantis Shrimp. I was thinking that I sort of about month or so to figure that out.

Upvote 0

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'll do this then. Thank you very much. In terms of what I'll be keeping, my ultimate goal is to keep Mantis Shrimp only. As such, I don't want too many coral. I'm still deciding on what type of coral to put that would be compatible with a Mantis Shrimp. I was thinking that I sort of about month or so to figure that out.
Awesome. For mantis, you could go with some zoas and macro in the tank. Mantis are messy, so can produce quite a bit of nutrients. I would stay away from caulerpa type macros, as they would need to be constantly trimmed to avoid them going sexual in the tank. Gracilliria types would work well and provide a nice red color to the tank.

But once you get tank setup, just revisit the idea of what to stock, as tons of mantis keepers on here that can help ya make proper choices on what to stock the tank with.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kaijor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. For mantis, you could go with some zoas and macro in the tank. Mantis are messy, so can produce quite a bit of nutrients. I would stay away from caulerpa type macros, as they would need to be constantly trimmed to avoid them going sexual in the tank. Gracilliria types would work well and provide a nice red color to the tank.

But once you get tank setup, just revisit the idea of what to stock, as tons of mantis keepers on here that can help ya make proper choices on what to stock the tank with.
Ok great, thank you so much for your help. I definitely have a game plan now. I'm going to be fully setting up my tank by Friday.

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So this is what I would do.

Cycle the tank and get the fish or mantis in. Go ahead and run carbon once the fish or mantis go in. In your case, I would go with carbon that is easier to flow through, like seachem's round carbon. ROX carbon works best in a reactor in my opinion but will likely still work in the biocube in an ok manner. Only add the pinch of GFO if you start seeing phosphate go above 0.1ppm (WITH A QUALITY TEST KIT). Don't bother with the purigen.

Your best filter friends early on are bacteria. I would highly consider adding those waste away gels to help avoid the ugly stage. I had a customer do this in a 32 biocube and it may be the reason why he never ahd a nasty algae phase.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kaijor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a mix of hanna and salifert. I use hanna and nyos for NO3, hanna for PO4 also.
Ok great, thank you
So this is what I would do.

Cycle the tank and get the fish or mantis in. Go ahead and run carbon once the fish or mantis go in. In your case, I would go with carbon that is easier to flow through, like seachem's round carbon. ROX carbon works best in a reactor in my opinion but will likely still work in the biocube in an ok manner. Only add the pinch of GFO if you start seeing phosphate go above 0.1ppm (WITH A QUALITY TEST KIT). Don't bother with the purigen.

Your best filter friends early on are bacteria. I would highly consider adding those waste away gels to help avoid the ugly stage. I had a customer do this in a 32 biocube and it may be the reason why he never ahd a nasty algae phase.
Where do you put the waste away gels? Like, would they go in the bottom or the top?

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok great, thank you

Where do you put the waste away gels? Like, would they go in the bottom or the top?

The gels can go anywhere in the back. I personally would put them in that first chamber furthest to the right when facing the tank, at the bottom of the rock, or in the pump chamber

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, how are you testing the other nutrients like Alk, Calcium, phosphates, Mag, etc.?

I use red sea pro kits for alk, calcium, and mag (you can get a combo of those three together). I use the hanna ulr phosphate (the ulr phosphorus is slightly more accurate). For nitrate i now use the hanna hr checker but I am colorblind so this is much more helpful to me. For pH I use an apera (sx-620?)pen

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kaijor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use red sea pro kits for alk, calcium, and mag (you can get a combo of those three together). I use the hanna ulr phosphate (the ulr phosphorus is slightly more accurate). For nitrate i now use the hanna hr checker but I am colorblind so this is much more helpful to me. For pH I use an apera (sx-620?)pen
The gels can go anywhere in the back. I personally would put them in that first chamber furthest to the right when facing the tank, at the bottom of the rock, or in the pump chamber
Ok, I'll see if I have room in chamber 1. I'm not sure if I do since I have a protein skimmer and heater there. And thank you for your help!

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back