suggestions on new wavemaker

  • Thread starter Thread starter bondno9
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

bondno9

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 16, 2023
Messages
125
Reaction score
26
Location
new jersey
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have 2 hygger wave makers in my aqua top 40 aio tank. They’re set up on the back acrylic about 70% high from the sand bed in the middle pointed towards the front glass. I’m not getting enough movement on the sand bed and I’m dealing with algae because of it.

I plan on upgrading to a custom 60-70gallon peninsula tank so I would like to pic a new wave maker that would be future proof for the next tank. I’m open to gyre as well, not sure the benefits of one over the other. What do you guys recommend for someone in my shoes?

I also upgraded my return pump to the mighty jet 538. I want to get a random flow nozzle. Should I just buy a single head or the dual head ones? Would the power be weaker spread amongst two nozzles?

IMG_5785.jpeg
 
If you can afford it, get an ecotech mp40. IMO its just hands down the best and most versatile powerhead in the game. Its tunable so will work in the smaller tank and be more than enough in the larger tank as well.
 
Although not the same dimensions, my 40G breeder has an ai orbit in there and it’s managing a mixed reef pretty well I’d say
 
If you can afford it, get an ecotech mp40. IMO its just hands down the best and most versatile powerhead in the game. Its tunable so will work in the smaller tank and be more than enough in the larger tank as well.
I'm leaning towards a gyre. I really think this positioning will help with my rockscape and move the water around the sand good. I can also future proof my peninsula tank when I get that and use it for that after. I was looking at the jebao scp-120 but I feel like it will be way too strong even at lower settings. One way to tell I guess.

1721536170049.png
 
Premiumaquatics.com

Has MP pumps 15% off

Plus a 10% discount for signing up for text notifications

25% off right now

That's less than people selling them used
 
I'm leaning towards a gyre. I really think this positioning will help with my rockscape and move the water around the sand good. I can also future proof my peninsula tank when I get that and use it for that after. I was looking at the jebao scp-120 but I feel like it will be way too strong even at lower settings. One way to tell I guess.

1721536170049.png
I’d suggest the scp 90. I have a scp 70 in my 90 gal in combination with a couple of Nero 3s as my primary wavemakers. I think you’ll like the flow the gyre provides.
 
I’d suggest the scp 90. I have a scp 70 in my 90 gal in combination with a couple of Nero 3s as my primary wavemakers. I think you’ll like the flow the gyre provides.
SCP 90 won't be good for my peninsula tank when I get it because I plan on getting a 42" long tank. Trying to future proof it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new