Suggestions : Tank / Equipment / etc... for a species only Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasse + SPS/LPS Setup

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

In 2023 I'm looking at starting up a tank again...

Last setups I had were a custom built 10 foot tank and a custom built 150 gallon frag tank:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/470-gallon-mixed-reef-150-gallon-frag-tank.200400/

I took down my tank in 2017 after some smaller fish started to pass away and I couldn't figure it out. Everything overly quarantined (including coral and cuc), no signs of stress / disease and water checked out, as did voltage, etc...

ANYWAY...

The one fish I couldn't keep (get out of quarantine) was the Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasse. I fell in love the fish after I saw a few while hunting (with a gopro) Achilles Tangs in Hawaii.

Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasse

I had tried twice, once with the fish in that video and another time in their own QT tanks. Never made it out of QT.

Now there are captive bred Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasse (although they won't be available again for some time) and I'd love to try to keep them again.

I don't really want a large tank again, max maybe 80 gallons. We just bought a new house, but we already are talking about what's next, so a smaller tank would be easier to move/transplant.

Remember last time I had a tank the tech was classic Apex Neptune, Kessil 360s, etc...

I'd like to keep only really the cleaners (possibly more than one together, they are not sexed when small, so a group would be ok) as well as SPS / Zoas / LPS.

What would y'all recommend for tanks and equipment?

AIO? RedSea (newer gen)? Other manufactures?

Also I'm sure there have been some advances in technology. I like have stuff automated. Want to be able to leave for a few days and the tank be ok.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey everyone,

In 2023 I'm looking at starting up a tank again...

Last setups I had were a custom built 10 foot tank and a custom built 150 gallon frag tank:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/470-gallon-mixed-reef-150-gallon-frag-tank.200400/

I took down my tank in 2017 after some smaller fish started to pass away and I couldn't figure it out. Everything overly quarantined (including coral and cuc), no signs of stress / disease and water checked out, as did voltage, etc...

ANYWAY...

The one fish I couldn't keep (get out of quarantine) was the Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasse. I fell in love the fish after I saw a few while hunting (with a gopro) Achilles Tangs in Hawaii.

Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasse

I had tried twice, once with the fish in that video and another time in their own QT tanks. Never made it out of QT.

Now there are captive bred Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasse (although they won't be available again for some time) and I'd love to try to keep them again.

I don't really want a large tank again, max maybe 80 gallons. We just bought a new house, but we already are talking about what's next, so a smaller tank would be easier to move/transplant.

Remember last time I had a tank the tech was classic Apex Neptune, Kessil 360s, etc...

I'd like to keep only really the cleaners (possibly more than one together, they are not sexed when small, so a group would be ok) as well as SPS / Zoas / LPS.

What would y'all recommend for tanks and equipment?

AIO? RedSea (newer gen)? Other manufactures?

Also I'm sure there have been some advances in technology. I like have stuff automated. Want to be able to leave for a few days and the tank be ok.

I have a blue streak for 8 years now and very active
AIO are definetly a great way to restart and Innovation marine, red sea and waterbox are best bets
Grab salt if instant ocean label as those will be going up in price the next 3 weeks

OP
OP
nuxx

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue streak for 8 years now and very active
AIO are definetly a great way to restart and Innovation marine, red sea and waterbox are best bets
Grab salt if instant ocean label as those will be going up in price the next 3 weeks

Awesome I'll look at the other two as well.

Was talking to Biota and they said four foot for one, probably six foot for a group. I'd think a longer / shallower tank might be better?

Blue Streak was one of my first fish, did very well in the tank and in QT. I'm not sure what it is about the Hawaiians, but they are nearly (completely???) impossible to keep. I thought I was really good with fish, but failed 4 times... I was speaking with Eric Cohen and he said he told divers to not collect those, even if requested.

Here is my old Blue Streak (20 second mark):

OP
OP
nuxx

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about equipment?

Took my tank down when gyres and roller mats were just coming out.

Also the Kessil 360s were the lights to have.

Had a classic Neptune Apex, still the go to?

Did they figure out the Neptune auto-dosing thing?

What's the trend now?

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can only eat Parasites off of the fish, and are close to impossible to supplement fed. So most often they starve. A Neon Cleaner Goby is a better choice, can be fed and they are Aquacultured.

OP
OP
nuxx

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can only eat Parasites off of the fish, and are close to impossible to supplement fed. So most often they starve. A Neon Cleaner Goby is a better choice, can be fed and they are Aquacultured.

Already had a common cleaner, had no problem with that.

I believe the captive bred ones eat prepped foods...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.8%

Back