Suggestions to cut dry rock flat?

gherewolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m loving all of the dry rock that is cut to be made into shelves. I have some rock already, how would I go about cutting this to make my own?

17C932EC-8264-4E1A-97D4-B68A7BC3BACB.jpeg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume a diamond saw blade designed for rock cutting to start, but I'm not sure how what kind of surface it will leave, totally smooth or something rough that needs sanding/polishing etc..

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a cutting wheel on a powered hand grinder. I had a large "tower style" rock but the bottom was rough so I did a flat cut across bottom - it took minutes and worked great.

OP
OP
G

gherewolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, thank you all. A quick “powered” solution would be preferable. I was thinking of running through a 12” or so rock once through a blade but can’t find anything that wide that isn’t industrial.

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The frag band saws would be able to cut through some smaller rocks easily, 6” would probably be the biggest you could do.

A 14” diamond concrete cutting saw will only cut through about 5-6” of concrete. So that would be about minimum size needed to cut through most rocks in one pass though I wouldn’t recommend that option. A 7” grinder with a 7” diamond blade would be able to cut about 1/3-1/2 way through a lot of aquarium sized rocks, then flip it to get the rest. A 4 1/2” grinder with diamond blad could get through partially and then you could chip off the stuff with a hammer, then keep attacking it with the grinder till you get a flat bottom.

Redshowdog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a sawzall with a wood blade. It worked pretty well but I had to stop and wet it all down to cool it off. Started with a diamond blade but it didn't work very well.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back