Suggestions to cut dry rock flat?

  • Thread starter Thread starter gherewolf
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

gherewolf

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 6, 2018
Messages
92
Reaction score
52
Location
Nashville
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m loving all of the dry rock that is cut to be made into shelves. I have some rock already, how would I go about cutting this to make my own?

17C932EC-8264-4E1A-97D4-B68A7BC3BACB.jpeg
 
I would assume a diamond saw blade designed for rock cutting to start, but I'm not sure how what kind of surface it will leave, totally smooth or something rough that needs sanding/polishing etc..
 
I used a cutting wheel on a powered hand grinder. I had a large "tower style" rock but the bottom was rough so I did a flat cut across bottom - it took minutes and worked great.
 
Yes, thank you all. A quick “powered” solution would be preferable. I was thinking of running through a 12” or so rock once through a blade but can’t find anything that wide that isn’t industrial.
 
The frag band saws would be able to cut through some smaller rocks easily, 6” would probably be the biggest you could do.

A 14” diamond concrete cutting saw will only cut through about 5-6” of concrete. So that would be about minimum size needed to cut through most rocks in one pass though I wouldn’t recommend that option. A 7” grinder with a 7” diamond blade would be able to cut about 1/3-1/2 way through a lot of aquarium sized rocks, then flip it to get the rest. A 4 1/2” grinder with diamond blad could get through partially and then you could chip off the stuff with a hammer, then keep attacking it with the grinder till you get a flat bottom.
 
I used a sawzall with a wood blade. It worked pretty well but I had to stop and wet it all down to cool it off. Started with a diamond blade but it didn't work very well.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 48.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 45.5%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new