Sully's 90-gallon Upgrade Build

sullivansp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp... I finally did it. I somehow managed to talk my wife into upgrading from our 45-gallon cube to a 90-gallon tank. She is not quite the reefing enthusiast that I am so this was a big deal to me. The secret was to focus my upgrade proposal on how a new tank would improve/refresh the appearance of our living room. And since she loves to decorate, rearrange furniture, and generally just change the decor for no apparent reason, convincing her was a pretty easy task. Besides that, her genuine curiosity about our tank has steadily risen over the years. She helped name all the fish, feeds them, and occasionally even gets her hands dirty on maintenance days. I see this heightened interest of hers as also being a contributing factor to her swift acquiescence. Oh, and the fact that I fulfill the exhausting role of being a trophy husband on a daily basis and therefore am totally due for such an indulgence.

So with the proper approval and a promise not to bring home another "mini-fridge" (more on that later), we headed down to our local fish store and came across this beauty:
20200616_163419.jpg

I was very tempted to "go big or go home" with a 120-gallon that caught my eye. But I happily settled for the 90-gallon due to space restrictions and the fact that I could utilize some of my current equipment for the 90 a bit more seamlessly. Which brings me to the next part of this build thread- a little backstory and the obligatory showing off of my previous tank.

My interest in saltwater aquariums began in high school after I enrolled in an aquatic science class- intending it to be a blow-off class. We had a year-long assignment of setting up and maintaining a saltwater tank. As I'm sure ya'll can imagine, I became utterly enraptured. I enrolled the next year as an aide to that same aquatic science teacher (thank you, Ms. Newton, wherever you are!) and even set up my own tank at home. Following high school, I bequeathed that 55-gallon tank to my cousin, departed for college, and sadly left this wonderful hobby behind.

Fast forward 13 years. My wife and I were finally moving home after my separation from the Army and were ready to settle down after years on the move. A proposition greeted us almost as soon as we moved into our new home. That same cousin whom I bestowed a great responsibility on made me an offer I could not refuse. By then, he was the proud owner of a 32-gallon BioCube. With four kids and zero free time, he was looking to offload some obligations. I politely said no thanks and that his kids were great and all but I would much rather take the tank instead.

Unfortunately, I do not have pictures, or even words, to describe this BioCube/algae factory/eyesore of a fish tank before I inherited it. But here are a few pictures shortly after transferring it to my house:
IMG_20180812_173158959.jpg
IMG_20181214_120225516.jpg

Yes, that first picture does indeed have a Blue Tang in a 32-gallon BioCube... Also not pictured was the 4-inch Clown Trigger. Yikes. I took them both to the LFS soon after setting the tank up and thankfully they found new (and much larger) homes.

To make a long story short, I spent over a year reducing nitrates (from off-the-chart levels, literally), battling green hair algae, cyanobacteria, and dinoflagellates, and contending with an ungrateful snowflake clown before damaging the BioCube during a disastrous modification attempt. I then picked up a Red Sea Max E-170 (45-gallon) as an emergency replacement, which is where the "mini-fridge" reference from earlier in this post originates. While searching for a replacement tank I came across a build thread by @revnull. He mentioned that after he set up their Max E-170 in the living room, his wife aptly named it the "giant mini-fridge." Hilariously, and with no knowledge of @revnull's thread, this was the EXACT same reaction from my wife when I brought one home! And I kinda have to agree with her- see for yourself:
IMG_20190113_195812734.jpg
IMG_20190113_195741803.jpg

And since a white "mini-fridge" didn't complement the decor, we opted for a facelift using vinyl peel-and-stick paper:

20200619_191621(edit).jpg

Naturally, this evolved to where we are today- upgrading tanks because it just looks soooo much better in our living room. Better than the wood-look "mini-fridge" and its matching sidekick, IKEA's BESTÅ cabinet. But before I get into the details of the new build, here are a few progression pictures of the old Red Sea Max E-170. I want to give a big thanks to the wealth of knowledge and information I discovered here and on many other forums on R2R. A few specific threads/sites were especially helpful in this process:

@revnull (for too many reasons to mention here)

@sithrico (for the plumbing upgrade)

@Broadfield (for impressive OCD-inspired organization among many other things)

@Taxus812 (for awesome product write-ups and detailed tank updates)

1/23/2019 - Added the Red Sea plumbing kit, Eshopps RS-100 sump, AquaMaxx ConeS CO-1 skimmer, and Tunze Osmolator Nano 3152 ATO, and Reef Octopus VarioS-2 return pump.
IMG_20190124_172446105.jpg

4/13/2019 - Added a Red Sea sump (not sure which model but possibly an older one and probably not meant for the Max E-170), new plumbing (Red Sea's gate valve was too finicky), 2 Vortech MP10WQD pumps, and a new power management center. I also added an Aquatic Life T5 Hybrid fixture but for some reason do not have a picture.
IMG_20190307_141425327.jpg
IMG_20190413_211826563.jpg
IMG_20190413_211810156.jpg

IMG_20190413_211836914.jpg

1/5/2020 - Added a Jebao 4 channel doser, CoralBox 3 Part dosing container, a refugium section to the sump, and a Kessil H80 Refugium Light.
20200619_191651.jpg

6/19/2020 - Last FTS before I began the upgrade to the 90-gallon.
20200619_191604.jpg
20200619_191621 2.jpg

So I will stop here and call this Part 1 of my 90-gallon build thread. Part 2 will be coming soon and will include lots of pictures of the entire build process. I am excited to document this, share it with everyone here, and hopefully receive some awesome feedback from all my fellow reefers!

Last edited:
OP
OP
sullivansp

sullivansp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! We love the look too and definitely fell in love with it almost immediately. I just finished the upgrade process about a week ago but am just now getting around to the write up. I plan to have my next post done in a few days!

OP
OP
sullivansp

sullivansp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the response! The cube journey was quite the adventure with so many lessons I will never forget. I look forward to sharing my progress with you!

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank! Looking forward the the next post!

OP
OP
sullivansp

sullivansp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part 2: Saltwater Mixing Station - And now for the real purpose of this thread- progress on the new 90-gallon build! The first issue I needed to address was upgrading the RO/DI and saltwater mixing arrangement. My original setup was primitive and consisted of an AquaFX Barracuda 4-Stage RO/DI 50 GPD filter system and a 5-gallon bucket situated underneath the sink in our guest bathroom. The excessive amount of flooding that occurred here was far beyond what any reasonable spouse could withstand. Therefore, my wife was entirely justified in demanding the relocation of this setup as a precondition for upgrading tanks. Since there were no viable locations inside the house, it was banished to the garage.

I started the process by gathering inspiration/ideas from the plethora of DIY threads found here on R2R and then dove right into constructing my new mixing station! Shoutout to @dbl for and @SuncrestReef for the exceptionally helpful threads:

First, I sketched a rough design:

Mixing Station.png

With this general concept in mind, I began gathering materials. I started with the two storage tanks since their size would dictate where in the garage the system would be located and how sturdy of a platform/shelf would be needed. I decided on these Norwesco 35-gallon tanks from a plastic tank supply retailer located here in Houston:
Tank.JPG

35 Gallon Horizontal Tank_Page_1.jpg

Based on the size of these tanks, I determined the platform would need to support a minimum of 600 pounds. Initially, I was thinking about doing a DIY shelving unit because I love the challenges of woodworking (even though my skills are usually no match for my overambitious visions). But thanks to quarantine, I was up to my eyeballs in DIY projects and decided to go with a less stressful route. So I purchased this shelving unit from Home Depot:
Shelf2.JPG

I added 3/4" plywood sheets (painted black) to each shelf to better distribute the weight of the tanks and to store things more easily on the remaining shelf space. Then I gathered the remaining materials and got to work. Here is the final product:
full setup.jpg

I compiled two lists; one for plumbing and one for equipment. This plumbing list differs from the sketch earlier in this post (added unions, a few additional/different adapters, and changed some slip fittings to threaded):
Plumbing Parts.JPG

Here is a corresponding photo that shows the location of each plumbing component from the list above.
Tank with Labels.jpg

Next is the list of equipment I used for my setup that I felt would be most useful in accomplishing a number of things, including:
  • Making high-quality RO/DI water without flooding (I made this promise to my wife- please pray for my soul)
  • Accurately mixing and heating saltwater
  • Transporting saltwater to the tank with minimal manual labor (my knees and back are begging for a break)
Equipment List.JPG

And the accompanying photo labeled accordingly:
Equipment Labeled.jpg

Overall the assembly of this saltwater mixing station was pretty straightforward. I basically followed the thread from @dbl and made only slight adjustments for my needs/wants. I could never have taken on this piece of the build puzzle without the fantastic threads from all ya'll fellow reefers. If anyone has any questions/comments/suggestions please feel free to ask away! Part 3 coming soon!

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SuncrestReef : "Here's my detailed mixing station write up..."

@sullivansp : "Hold my beer..." :D:D:D

Excellent write up! Nice work.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sullivansp your mixing station turned out great and really nice write up.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back