OP
B

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a nitrifying biofilm also denitrification takes place! +- 40% of the population in a nitrifying biofilm may be following an anaerobic pathway. Letting grow the nitrifying biofilm on sulphur will increase the denitrification capacity. Letting grow the nitrifying biofilm on a mix of sulphur and calcium carbonate will prevent the biofilm influences the alkalinity.

Why nitrates may build up in a well lit aquarium and are not used up by photo-autotrops? Insufficient supply of other building materials may be the reason.

When food is consumed most of the nitrogen is released as ammonia and urea and organic waste. The same time a skimmer removes continuously part (+- 35%) of the organics in a very selective way leaving polar and hydrophilic compounds behind for remineralisation, the production of building materials. During remineralisation most organic carbon is transformed to inorganic carbon to be reused by autotrophs. But the photo-autotrophs are not able to assimilate the nitrate- nitrogen as the building materials needed are continuously removed.
Ammonia is constantly used by heterotrops and other organisms . To reduce the same amount of ammonium the heterotrophs need 40x more building materials as the autotrophs need by nitrification.

The first thing we have to do when starting up an aquarium is installing the carrying capacity which is based on the ability to reduce ammonium. Most reefers have banned the biofilter this way limiting the carrying capacity and lost the comfort of easy adjustment of the carrying capacity.
The second thing to do should be installing the capacity to export the nitrogen overproduction, this when a skimmer is used. This second step is by most reefers looked over and they will try to find a solution when confronted with the fact a skimmer creates unbalance.
Not doing the second step leads to the question: "What to do with the nitrate produced by a biofilter"? Was it solved by removing the bio filter!?

When on fora the question is repeated " What to do with nitrates?" the first response will be " try vodka dosing"
But as the reason for nitrate build up is in most cases insufficient supply of some building materials where will the building materials come from to support the fast heterotrophic growth induced by vodka dosing? Well, they will outcompete most organisms who where using the ammonium and building materials before dosing messing up the created balance and most important will remove the installed autotrophic carrying capacity ( nitrification). Bacteria prefer ammonia- nitrogen for fast growth. And heterotrophic assimilation does not remove the nitrogen from the system but stores it for later reuse when consumed and or recycled.
This is not what I want!

In the second step one has to decide what to do with nitrogen overproduction.
Provide the building materials needed for photo-autotrophic growth for supporting the system and or for removal by harvesting?
Or are we going to remove the nitrogen directly as nitrogen gas? Or both?

We where looking for a way to export nitrogen overproduction and the same time will give full control over the nitrate level and make it possible to close the nitrogen cycle in the system The presence of nitrate is very important for the biological balance in a closed system.
We found the solution in autotrophic nitrate reduction by sulphur bacteria in a biofilm.
As we where looking out for a safe and reliable way to use the BADES process we have deleted anoxic kept denitrators from the possible solutions.
Starting from the MAAO method and the knowledge in any biofilm denitrification can take place our research lead us to the application of sulphur columns and a BADES biofilm reactor. Autotrophic nitrate reduction (denitrification) does not need much building materials.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reading your posts here and on the other forums for a few hours now and I think I get the point you are trying to make. You need to have 1% of your water volume in sulfur media which you run in the tank at a higher flow rate vs normal sulfur denitrators. You let the flow of water run faster so that it does not become anoxic and since the volume of the sulfur is high, even though oxygen is present, there will still be enough anaerobic areas in the sulfur media to manage the nitrates in the tank.

When the nitrates are high in the tank, a lower flow is needed to lower the oxygen and allow for more anaerobic space in the sulfur media. When the nitrates are low in the tank, the flow should be increased so the anaerobic areas decrease in relation to the available nitrates in the tank and more nitrates are made available to the reactor.

Is my understanding correct? I tried to log in the site you linked. I registered but it still will not allow me to log in.

1. My question is how is this managed in large tanks? My tanks total water volume including the sump is around 600g which would mean i would need at least 6 gallons of sulfur media? I dont think there is a large enough reactor to hold 6 gallons of media unless customized. I have a calcium reactor with only 6L capacity I was planning to use for this purpose.

2. Also does the reactor need to be recirculating or not??

3. Also my system now runs macroalgae, skimmers, GAC, but not carbon dosing. I would like to add a sulfur denitrator to help with the nitrates from my heavy bioload. What about using a smaller reactor than 1% of the tank volume and adjusting only to the point where it is not anoxic it can contribute still to the nitrate reduction in the tank? Is this possible in BADES? I dont need it to be the only solution so any contributed to lowering nitrates for my tank is good enough.

Did you receive a password? Do you get an access denied page when trying to enter the wiki, when trying to access an other page or when trying to use a link in a page?

Any amount of sulphur may help to reduce nitrate. One does NOT need a reactor when full control over the nitrate level is not desired. BADES columns can be used in a refugium, this way preventing to much ammonia-nitrogen may be removed and the nitrate level can be influenced by the allowed flow to the aquarium.
In a BADES System the aim is to have full control over the nitrate level and close the nitrogen cycle by removing the daily nitrogen overproduction daily, every day.

ryanuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK thanks. If you had a fish only system, would you have the same concerns?

In a fish only system, I would dose carbon but would still do it carefully to avoid bacterial blooms.

If DOC could be tracked like with tritons new N-DOC system (you can watch their video explaining it on facebook), I would be a bit more confident.

ryanuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A BADES reactor is easily made. Any container or jar with a big lid (for easy access) will do. As the reactor is not pressurized. The moving bed reactor is made with a closed loop.

It is not the level in your thank but the daily nitrate overproduction which is important to determine the amount of sulphur needed. In most cases a 1% reactor will do. Only a bit more as the daily nitrate overproduction must be removed to lower the level. The daily overproduction is measured over at least a week time. A sample in the morning just before lights on and 7 days or more days later an other sample at the same time of the day.
If a high nitrate level is present low flow is needed to remove the daily overproduction daily and not that much oxygen must be consumed. At a low nitrate level the flow may become very high to remove the daily nitrate overproduction daily which means a lot of oxygen must be consumed. That is why the reactor must be big enough. For example to lower the nitrate level from 10 ppm to 5 ppm the daily flow must be doubled to remove the same amount of nitrogen daily.
Applying the MAAO method for a BADES reactor O nitrate in the effluent is the target. But this is not the aim using a BADES biofilm reactor.
BADES columns work fine in seawater with a normal oxygen content.

It is not possible to manage a BADES reactor correctly based on ORP reading . ORP reading is not very sensitive for oxygen content changes.

A BADES biofilm reactor will work fine when the effluent still contains 2ppm of oxygen. Those who use ORP try to keep the reactor anoxic. Why using ORP reading for BADES?

You registered but can not get access ? Do you get an access denied page when trying to open a page or for entering the wiki?

1. The recommended flow rate is 1x the total system volume going through the reactor for 1%? If for example only 0.75% sulfur is possible, the recommended flow rate i presume would be less?

2. If nitrite is still detectable from the effluent, I should lower the flow?

3. After I register, it tells me to check my email for the link to get my password but nothing is sent to my email. I have tried 3 times and used 2 different email address and even checked the spam folder.

ryanuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a nitrifying biofilm also denitrification takes place! +- 40% of the population in a nitrifying biofilm may be following an anaerobic pathway. Letting grow the nitrifying biofilm on sulphur will increase the denitrification capacity. Letting grow the nitrifying biofilm on a mix of sulphur and calcium carbonate will prevent the biofilm influences the alkalinity.

\

The calcium carbonate should be placed in a separate reaction chamber correct? How much calcium carbonate should be used in relation to sulfur media? So for example 1 gallon of sulfur media, I would need to use how much calcium carbonate?

OP
OP
B

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a fish only system, I would dose carbon but would still do it carefully to avoid bacterial blooms.

If DOC could be tracked like with tritons new N-DOC system (you can watch their video explaining it on facebook), I would be a bit more confident.

Carbon dosing will remove the previously installed nitrification capacity partially and when overdosed may remove the autotrophic carrying capacity completely. And it removes nothing from the system. The removal rate of nitrogen depends on the removal capacity of the skimmer which is very limited and unknown.

A BADESS System using a BADES biofilm reactor is very effective for fish only tanks. Such BADES System is not suitable for LNS and VLNS and can only be recommended for nutrient rich systems , mixed reefs with a lot of bio-load.

OP
OP
B

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The calcium carbonate should be placed in a separate reaction chamber correct? How much calcium carbonate should be used in relation to sulfur media? So for example 1 gallon of sulfur media, I would need to use how much calcium carbonate?

It depends of the used method. If the MAAO method is used using a BADES-reactor it is recommended to use a separate reactor for easy maintenance but it is not necessary. If BADES columns and BADES biofilm reactors are used it is better to mix the sulphur with calcium carbonate. For big systems 2 BADES reactors can be used for easy maintenance, cleaning one while the other stays in service. The quantity of calcium carbonate media depends of the maintenance schedule. The calcium carbonate is consumed a lot faster as the sulphur and depending of the media used it may clog together ; It is recommended to use a 50/50 mix or when separate reactors are used two times the amount of sulphur used. For big systems at least 2 calcium reactors are used for easy maintenance in operation.

Such reactors do not have to be expensive as a plastic bottle or container will do, also for the sulphur.

If you have a CO2 reactor installed and only a to small BADES reactor is used to remove a bit of nitrogen one does not need a supplemental calcium reactor in a seawater aquarium.

A thin layer of +- 1 inch sulphur granule/aragonite mix on the bottom of a refuge will also remove a lot of nitrogen, covered by a filter-mat to keep the mix in place.

Last edited:

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A thin layer of +- 1 inch sulphur granule/aragonite mix on the bottom of a refuge will also remove a lot of nitrogen, covered by a filter-mat to keep the mix in place.

This is what I had in mind for exploring this approach in my 2 L stirred reactors to keep the material as an undisturbed layer.

I can’t find anything but sulfur powder. I might buy a lump of sulfur and grind it to sand size granules.

OP
OP
B

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I had in mind for exploring this approach in my 2 L stirred reactors to keep the material as an undisturbed layer.

I can’t find anything but sulfur powder. I might buy a lump of sulfur and grind it to sand size granules.

Granular sulphur and sulphur pearls will also become powder . It is used in greenhouses as bio-fungicide. A supply store for horticulturists will probably have it for a low price. Most marine aquarium stores can supply sulfur pearls as there are a lot different brands on the market .

In a reactor the media is hold between two patches in a way it can still move but not swirl around; When it swirls around to much erosion will prevent the growth of a proper biofilm. One of reasons we advise separate reactors for sulphur and oyster shell for a BADES reactor system. In the oyster shell reactor the media may swirl around preventing clogging this way.

OP
OP
B

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In BADES biofilm reactors the aim is to grow an oxygen consuming nitrifying biofilm. These reactors may remove all nitrate-nitrogen produced in the reactor at high flow but it will not be enough to lower the pH in the system water in a way it may dissolve calcium carbonate in a separate reactor. For this application calcium carbonate is mixed with the sulphur and produced H+ may be used up in the micro environment where it is produced. This way alk is not influenced much by nitrification and denitrification processes. Some calcium is produced.
Treated water should be aerated to restore the CO2 balance. This can be done by passing the effluent true a skimmer. For big systems a bio-skimmer may be used; This is a normal counter current skimmer with a layer of aragonite or shell grit on the bottom.

No reactor is needed to increase the carrying capacity and the denitrification capacity of the system. Just adding some elemental sulphur as a base for a growing biofilm is enough. By using BADES in a refuge one can influence the nitrogen level in the system as desired.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using sulpur does not need a reactor. By adding elemental sulphur a nitrifying biofilter which does not produce nitrate may be created.

Simultaneous nitrification, denitrification and phosfhate removal can be achieved just by adding some magnesiumhydroxide to the calciumcarbonate-sulphur mix. In MAP BADES bioreactors autotrophic denitrification takes place while maintaining a pH above 7.9 pH.

The calcium carbonate disolving rate is not effected by the system pH, only by the nitrification- autotrophic denitrification rate, the amounth accids produced on the substrate. No alkalinity is consumed .

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using sulpur does not need a reactor. By adding elemental sulphur a nitrifying biofilter which does not produce nitrate may be created.

Simultaneous nitrification, denitrification and phosfhate removal can be achieved just by adding some magnesiumhydroxide to the calciumcarbonate-sulphur mix. In MAP BADES bioreactors autotrophic denitrification takes place while maintaining a pH above 7.9 pH.
The calcium carbonate disolving rate is not effected by the system pH, only by the nitrification- autotrophic denitrification rate, the amounth accids produced on the substrate. No alkalinity is consumed .

The links do not work for those without access.

That said, I'll repeat that I'm not a fan of exposing sulfur to oxic conditions due to the potential for bacteria to convert it to sulfate by oxidation, depleting alkalinity. I don't consider having to constantly add alkalinity in the form of the magnesium hydroxide to be desirable. I do not think it will work well by just adding a bunch and hoping some sort of control mechanism limits the alk that dissolves from it.

OP
OP
B

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The links do not work for those without access.

That said, I'll repeat that I'm not a fan of exposing sulfur to oxic conditions due to the potential for bacteria to convert it to sulfate by oxidation, depleting alkalinity. I don't consider having to constantly add alkalinity in the form of the magnesium hydroxide to be desirable. I do not think it will work well by just adding a bunch and hoping some sort of control mechanism limits the alk that dissolves from it.
To get acces one must register.
SBNMS (Sulphur Based Nitrogen Managememt Systems) just remove nitrogen, nothing else. Till now , after a few decades of practical use) the oxidation of sulphur in oxic conditions was not reported. Sulpur bacteria as S.denitrificans are not able to use elememtal sulphur using there anerobic pathway! Elemental sulphur is produced constantly in any nitrifying biofilm! The sulphate production reported is in relation with the nitrogen removed , in practice a lot less as theoreticcaly possible. In MAAO the system BADES reactors operate fine with still +2ppm DO in the effluent. The total effect on alkalinity is less as reported from Carbon dosing. Studies of the coral holobiont show thar increased availbility of organic carbon may mess up the carboncycle within the holobiont. As it does with the nitrogen cycle by limiting ,even removing the present nitrification capacity removing . BADES only removes nitrogen from the system , this way the balans of nutrients may be restored. Corbon dosing may lower the nitrogen level but will lower also all other nutrients by which the balance is not restored. A high nitrogen availability may become dangerous only when supply of other nutrients is limited. There are a lot of good reasons for not adding supplememtal carbohydrtes to a closed system.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SBNMS (Sulphur Based Nitrogen Managememt Systems) just remove nitrogen, nothing else. Till now , after a few decades of practical use) the oxidation of sulphur in oxic conditions was not reported. Sulpur bacteria as S.denitrificans are not able to use elememtal sulphur using there anerobic pathway! Elemental sulphur is produced constantly in any nitrifying biofilm! The sulphate production reported is in relation with the nitrogen removed , in practice a lot less as theoreticcaly possible. In MAAO the system BADES reactors operate fine with still +2ppm DO in the effluent. The total effect on alkalinity is less as reported from Carbon dosing. Studies of the coral holobiont show thar increased availbility of organic carbon may mess up the carboncycle within the holobiont. As it does with the nitrogen cycle by limiting ,even removing the present nitrification capacity removing . BADES only removes nitrogen from the system , this way the balans of nutrients may be restored. Corbon dosing may lower the nitrogen level but will lower also all other nutrients by which the balance is not restored. A high nitrogen availability may become dangerous only when supply of other nutrients is limited. There are a lot of good reasons for not adding supplememtal carbohydrtes to a closed system.
Some links, diagrams, instructions etc to these reactors or systems would really help.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do not advocate adding carbohydrates. I recommend acetate and/or ethanol. You may be able to claim some theoretical reason to not add these, but I am aware of no clear issues.

But I will repeat that using sulfur depletes alkalinity. That is fine if you account for it, but it makes using a balanced system like. caCO3/CO2 reactor unable to meet both calcium and alk demands appropriately.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back