Sulphur media

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Thinking of trying this out. Can i just place the right amount of sulfur in a high flow area in my sump? Would that work well enough?

What are you trying to accomplish?

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Thinking of trying this out. Can I just place the right amount of sulfur in a high flow area in my sump? Would that work well enough?

yes, you can!

But what you mean by "well enough". For me, "well enough" means having full control over the nitrogen removal rate and over the nitrate level.

Adding some sulfur will increase the nitrogen export capacity but will not give any control over the export rate.
BADES can be used in many applications, have a different outcome.

Using BADES can be overdone as some applications remove very effectively ammonium-nitrogen and may export most of the nitrogen before it has the change to be used.

Nitrogen management using elemental sulfur, by using BADES

ryanuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you trying to accomplish?

I want to try lowering nitrates a bit more in my tank using another method aside from carbon dosing. Im dosing quite a bit of vodka already and its still not going down low enough. Im dosing 60ml currently for a 400g system.

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to try lowering nitrates a bit more in my tank using another method aside from carbon dosing. Im dosing quite a bit of vodka already and its still not going down low enough. Im dosing 60ml currently for a 400g system.

It is not a good idea to combine vodka dosing and a BADES aplication. Building off vodka dosing should be done very slowly, spread over several weeks. What is considered to be "low enough"?

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back