Summer is Coming!!

burk986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a two story house with a 14 gallon biocube in my one year old sons room. During the summer, it gets warmer up there and last summer I seen the temp reach 85 in the tank. What's the best way to cool the tank down other than adding a $400 chiller?

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fans blowing across the water will help a bit

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run chillers on some systems, but the vast majority I cool evaporatively using fans. Just make sure you have plenty of top off water. Set it on a thermostat to turn on when the temp gets high and it will cool down fairly quickly.

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this problem 2 nights ago. My tank is on the second floor and the temp went up to 83 degrees. What I had to do is put some ice cubes in a plastic ziplock bag and place in the sump. I only put in a handful at a time so it don't have a huge temp swing. I try to get it to drop .2-.3 degrees an hour. I was able to get the temp down to 79 over the course of ten hours. Everything turned out great. But now I am going to keep RO/DI ice cubes in the freezer so if and when it happens again I can just drop the cubes in the sump and let them slowly melt. That will help keep the temp Down and also act as an ATO. Hope this helps a little.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back