Summer time… possibly long periods of direct sun.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I previously had a FW tank converted to SW and the back was clear (Right against the window too) so I had to use cardboard to stop too much sunlight causing Film Algae heaven. Although it was a bit more of an eye sore it was liveable.

With my current nano tank I hadn’t used anything until I got 3 plants yesterday. I figured I could try something new this morning as one of the plants I have enjoys semi-shade and where my nano is it gets a ton of sun in the morning and then in the evening/afternoon it’s more shaded. I don’t know whether this will work or not however it’s worth a shot.
image.jpg

So, what have you guys done to try and minimise if not stop the sun from hitting your tanks that are near a window?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My S650 is next to a window on one side, in direct sunlight until around 11.30am and I haven’t had any I’ll effects in the 6 years it’s been running.

I haven’t noticed any problem film algae as such, although I clean the class every 2 days

You get natural sunlight in the ocean, so….

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My S650 is next to a window on one side, in direct sunlight until around 11.30am and I haven’t had any I’ll effects in the 6 years it’s been running.

I haven’t noticed any problem film algae as such, although I clean the class every 2 days

You get natural sunlight in the ocean, so….
I get it for a good 8 hours or so and it’s on a rather small tank (18” cube) which causes algae on all 3 sides except the back as it’s covered by a wall.

Last edited:
OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anything I find that a few hours of natural sunlight enhances coral growth considerably, especially on slopes and undersides of colonies. :)
Mine all bleach on that side of the tank and on the other side with the same PAR it’s better growth is what I find. My clam loves it though.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only issue I would worry about is heat.
That’s my other thing I’m fighting from direct sunlight is how it’s heating the tank up more than the room temperature would usually do.

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I previously had a FW tank converted to SW and the back was clear (Right against the window too) so I had to use cardboard to stop too much sunlight causing Film Algae heaven. Although it was a bit more of an eye sore it was liveable.

With my current nano tank I hadn’t used anything until I got 3 plants yesterday. I figured I could try something new this morning as one of the plants I have enjoys semi-shade and where my nano is it gets a ton of sun in the morning and then in the evening/afternoon it’s more shaded. I don’t know whether this will work or not however it’s worth a shot.
image.jpg

So, what have you guys done to try and minimise if not stop the sun from hitting your tanks that are near a window?
Curtains. I've got a cheap Quora motorised curtain track, which connects to my Google Home. If the sun is a bit too fierce (admittedly a rare thing in Merrie England) I can close the curtains remotely from work or wherever I am.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%
Back