Sump and Return Pump GPH?

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be "that guy" for a moment. I spent a bunch on setting up my tank, and it was ready to get wet and I still didn't have a pump. The tank was used so I was wanting to prove it out before getting a high dollar DC pump. I bought a sicce 3.0. That was a year ago, for my 110, with 5 ft of lift. It more than does the job with some in-tank powerheads, and keeps my power bill in check as well. I did grossly oversize the plumbing at 1.25", expecting to eventually go with a larger pump, but also to minimize friction based head loss.
I used to be a disciple of flow. I set this tank up to try to see how efficient I could be. And I think if you are watching your $, you can definitely get away with 3x flow through the sump using this pump.
Full disclosure, I have actually purchased a larger controllable pump from Rossmont because I have trouble tuning my split between the ATS and the protein skimmer after a power outage, and I thought more flow would help, but I have yet to take the time to plumb it in since the sicce 3 is doing the job.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You wouldn't want all of your flow to come from the sump. It is recommended to have around 10x flow from the sump and use powerheads for the remaining.

The required flow depends on what you want to keep in the tank. I am not sure if you mentioned what you want to keep in the tank.

OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be "that guy" for a moment. I spent a bunch on setting up my tank, and it was ready to get wet and I still didn't have a pump. The tank was used so I was wanting to prove it out before getting a high dollar DC pump. I bought a sicce 3.0. That was a year ago, for my 110, with 5 ft of lift. It more than does the job with some in-tank powerheads, and keeps my power bill in check as well. I did grossly oversize the plumbing at 1.25", expecting to eventually go with a larger pump, but also to minimize friction based head loss.
I used to be a disciple of flow. I set this tank up to try to see how efficient I could be. And I think if you are watching your $, you can definitely get away with 3x flow through the sump using this pump.
Full disclosure, I have actually purchased a larger controllable pump from Rossmont because I have trouble tuning my split between the ATS and the protein skimmer after a power outage, and I thought more flow would help, but I have yet to take the time to plumb it in since the sicce 3 is doing the job.
Yeah, i think I’m going to my lfs today to get some in person insight on how to set up my plumbing, and correct fittings. I ordered the hydor pump just in case I spend my money on something dumb and don’t have enough

OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You wouldn't want all of your flow to come from the sump. It is recommended to have around 10x flow from the sump and use powerheads for the remaining.

The required flow depends on what you want to keep in the tank. I am not sure if you mentioned what you want to keep in the tank.
A tang, a couple clowns, some wrasses, (I’m getting pods from BRS or Algae Barn,) banggai cardinal pair, inverts, some kind of hawk fish, a coral crouched and coral

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’m not completely sure yet! I like the hard coral and soft, so maybe a mix of both. I was thinking about a clam as well, which I forgot to mention
You might benefit from a sump then. A sump adds up to a lot of money. The sump itself is kinda expensive and then you need a return pump, refugium light, protein skimmer, overflow box. Just something to keep in mind.

OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might benefit from a sump then. A sump adds up to a lot of money. The sump itself is kinda expensive and then you need a return pump, refugium light, protein skimmer, overflow box. Just something to keep in mind.
Yeah, I already know about all that but thank you!:) I already ordered a sump a few days ago, I work at a pet store

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20201125_232523.jpg

I'd have a crazy chaotic, Ol'Faithful mess on my hands if my return lines weren't being dialed-in / dialed-back by ball valves

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, I would appreciate that. BRS is out of them now....
Of course! Maybe check saltwateraquarium.com, marine depot.com, or see if you can order it from a LFS! I will PM you those photos, I’m making RODI water right now so I will do that right after:)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back