Sump/Aquarium volume ratio question.

  • Thread starter Thread starter FiX
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

FiX

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 26, 2025
Messages
28
Reaction score
65
Location
Usa
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noob here, in design and acquisition phase for first attempt at a reef tank. Wondering if it's advantageous to have as large a sump as possible? For example, I plan to have a 20 gallon display tank, but I will have much more room under the cabinet, up to a 40 gallon sump. Should i take advantage of the excess capacity? Seems like a good idea to me. What say you? TIA!
 
I say, the bigger the better. I once had a 20 long display with a 50 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank as a sump, makes maintenance a breeze
 
Noob here, in design and acquisition phase for first attempt at a reef tank. Wondering if it's advantageous to have as large a sump as possible? For example, I plan to have a 20 gallon display tank, but I will have much more room under the cabinet, up to a 40 gallon sump. Should i take advantage of the excess capacity? Seems like a good idea to me. What say you? TIA!
Wouldn't hurt to do it, wouldnt need a new sump if you ever want to upgrade and lots of space for a refugium to grow a ton of pods for a mandarin if you ever want that.
 
40g tanks are so cheap you could always just do 40g DT/40g sump!

Just remember to give yourself enough space over the sump to reach all the way into it within the stand, and to fit a skimmer and/or other equipment!
 
Good point about hand access! I'm setting up in a kitchen. Limited counter space, over a big, but seldom-used, cabinet. I think it will work out nicely!
 
Good point about hand access! I'm setting up in a kitchen. Limited counter space, over a big, but seldom-used, cabinet. I think it will work out nicely!
I’ve got 6” between the top of my 60g sump(90g DT), and the bottom of the stand’s framing; that’s just enough to actually work inside the sump! However, I will have to drain/slide the sump out partially remove the protein skimmer’s body! (Acrylic, rimmed sump from glasscages)
 
I wouldn't say there's a specific ratio but at the very least, the sump needs to be able to hold whatever water you plan on having in there + any back flow from the display if and when the power goes out/return pump fails or needs service.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new