Sump Area Lighting

ReeferMark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lights are you guys and gals using to light your sump area? I'm looking for an LED with a push button on/off switch that will turn on when I open the door to my stand and off when I close it. Any ideas?

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use a controller? That would be the easiest way. Or just wire in an appropriate switch that you can mount so that it activates the light when you open the door. I use some LED strips that Lowes sells. You can daisy chain them together and they work great. They are on an adhesive tape and 12" long.

OP
OP
ReeferMark

ReeferMark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No controller yet. I'm still working on getting the tank set up. I will probably pick up an Apex on black Friday or a group purchase.

jent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally use an Ikea LED light strip that is mounted on the top of the inside of the stand. I then have magnetic switches on the door that are normally closed, when either door open's it breaks the circuit. The apex then turns on the under stand light.

It's much easier with a controller. With that said, if you only have a single door on the stand you could probably have a normally open magnetic switch (opposite of what I used), and run the actual current for the light through the magnetic switch (also assuming low wattage LED's).

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally use an Ikea LED light strip that is mounted on the top of the inside of the stand. I then have magnetic switches on the door that are normally closed, when either door open's it breaks the circuit. The apex then turns on the under stand light.

It's much easier with a controller. With that said, if you only have a single door on the stand you could probably have a normally open magnetic switch (opposite of what I used), and run the actual current for the light through the magnetic switch (also assuming low wattage LED's).
Now I want a controller just for that.
Very cool

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same sort of thing I was referring to. The controller really makes it easier to integrate those types of things.

ncfishguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a red par 38 bulb grow cheato like crazy got off eBay

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a few fancy lights and ended up going back 2 a simple 100 w daylight CFL bulb. Seems to give me the most growth

rainydave

Chimp in Space
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you looking for a light to just provide illumination when you are working on the sump or one to provide light to grow macro algae in a fuge section of your sump?

OP
OP
ReeferMark

ReeferMark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for a light to provide illumination when working under hinge stand. I would like to find something with a push switch that turns the light on when I open the stand door.

Caliwagon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1 to this. I'm using the 4 pack of white LEDs mounted under the tank in various places so when they are on I can see all the bulkheads and plumbing with enough ambient light to do all the work in the sump when I need to.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up some LED under cabinet lights from Home Depot. Right now I use the switch to turn them on/off, but could modify it slightly and have my APEX turn it on/off when I open the stand's door.

Was a bit of a pain to install (( the sump was already in place, not a lot of room )), but very glad I did it.

Not the best pictures, but get the idea.

The cord is put away now,

sumplights3_zps74854ead.jpg

sumplights2_zpsf09db23a.jpg

sumplights1_zpsbbc465d6.jpg

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used some inexpensive under-the-counter puck style lights. I do not have a controller either, so I simply plugged them in to my DJ bar and just flip the switch when I want them illuminated. Quick and easy.

Haubfather07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just bought an Apex (haven't even opened it yet.. ) Can you provide what switch and how to integrate the programing (hand hold the newb). I'm pretty technical but haven't jumped into it yet, waiting on my new tank (RSR 450) to be delivered later this week! Trying to get everything planned out as much as possible and LEDs activated by door switch is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance!

David Pestana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi any ideas on how i have apex woth break out box what else would u suggest please

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back