Sump baffle has released. What about my DSB in sump? How do I go about replcing sump?

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well today I was getting ready to lay down after working midnight shift. I am watching TV talking to a friend, and we hear a loud thump. I am like what was that! I go in to look at tank, and sump. I notice filter sock has fallen into return section of sump. No big deal right, this happens all the time. Well after friend leaves I inspect things. The bubble trap, and the retention wall in sump from skimmer section both released. The DSB section is still holding, and I have PVC pipe holding the baffle in place for now. I am thinking this sump has served me well for 3+ years so I want to build another just like it. I have a tank that I can pick up tomorrow. My question is mainly about the DSB. Right now I have return in middle, skimmer section on one end, and the DSB with rock on the other end. I want to go back with this, as it has served me well for this long. What do I need to do about the deep sand bed? Can I just remove the sand, and place in the new sump? I really just wish I could silicone the baffles in place, but I know that will never work so I have a decision to make. Please help! I have even thought of removing both baffles to see how that works, but I am afraid of bubbles in the display.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately i dont think youll want to reuse the dsb .you will really stir up a lot of junk when you move it. You could rinse it but then all the dead organism might cause another cycle...i would replace the sump and the sand....all except a scoop to reseed the new.

OP
OP
JOKER

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately i dont think youll want to reuse the dsb .you will really stir up a lot of junk when you move it. You could rinse it but then all the dead organism might cause another cycle...i would replace the sump and the sand....all except a scoop to reseed the new.
I am wondering how to go about removing the sand now. I fear that if I remove it all at once I may cause a mini cycle or something. This tank is packed with acro frags and colonies. I am thinking removing a little at a time until I get it all out may be the best way, but that too can cause a small cycle? I have a shallow sand bed in tank, and may go back without sand in the sump. I am running marine pure blocks in the skimmer section?What would you recommend?

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend setting up the new sump with new sand. Can you disconnect and replumb new sump easily? That way you could remove sump.with sand and not worry about a cycle.

OP
OP
JOKER

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend setting up the new sump with new sand. Can you disconnect and replumb new sump easily? That way you could remove sump.with sand and not worry about a cycle.
I plan new sand with a cup of old. I have some rock on the sand as well that could use a good rinsing while I am in the process. The sump can be easily isolated, and removed easily as i plumbed with unions. I am working on the new sump now, I just need a few more strips of glass to reinforce the baffles this time. I never thought one would turn loose, but maybe with reinforcement the silicone wont be stressed as much.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering how to go about removing the sand now. I fear that if I remove it all at once I may cause a mini cycle or something. This tank is packed with acro frags and colonies. I am thinking removing a little at a time until I get it all out may be the best way, but that too can cause a small cycle? I have a shallow sand bed in tank, and may go back without sand in the sump. I am running marine pure blocks in the skimmer section?What would you recommend?

I would shut off the pump to stop flow and siphon the sump. Then remove the DSB and repair the sump. Add new water to the sump. Start the return pump and you're done.

OP
OP
JOKER

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would shut off the pump to stop flow and siphon the sump. Then remove the DSB and repair the sump. Add new water to the sump. Start the return pump and you're done.
I have a new sump almost done. I fear that removing the DSB all together may cause trouble with the tank down the road. DO you not think It serves some purpose for nutrient export?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new sump almost done. I fear that removing the DSB all together may cause trouble with the tank down the road. DO you not think It serves some purpose for nutrient export?

I've always felt that DSB is a double edged sword. Lots of benefits in using one, but an equal amount of heartache if you have to disturb it.

So if I am understanding your post, the question is: Should I use a DSB in the NEW sump?

Currently my refugium (which is where I assume you have your DSB) is bare bottom. At one point, it had about 3 inches of sand, which isn't really DSB (I think 6-8 inches when discussing DSB).

Personally, the Chaetomorpha does wonderfully where nutrient export is concerned. I don't think the risks of a DSB are not worth the potential trouble.

OP
OP
JOKER

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always felt that DSB is a double edged sword. Lots of benefits in using one, but an equal amount of heartache if you have to disturb it.

So if I am understanding your post, the question is: Should I use a DSB in the NEW sump?

Currently my refugium (which is where I assume you have your DSB) is bare bottom. At one point, it had about 3 inches of sand, which isn't really DSB (I think 6-8 inches when discussing DSB).

Personally, the Chaetomorpha does wonderfully where nutrient export is concerned. I don't think the risks of a DSB are not worth the potential trouble.
My RDSB is 12". I do not have any macro algae, just the sand and some rock. I run a skimmer, marine blocks, and an ATS with timer adjusted to control any algae that starts to pop up in DT.

OP
OP
JOKER

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20191011_093943.jpg

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank! If the dsb has served you this well than i would continue with what you have been doing...tank shows its working.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 149 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back