sump baffle thickness

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm able to start a DIY sump bump i'm unsure what thickness polycarbonate sheets i need to get. Any suggestions on thickness?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It kind of depends on how big the sheet is going to be and to a lesser extent, how much water it will be holding back.

A big sheet needs to be thicker than a small one.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mention baffles. That leads me to understand you are speaking of the dividers within the sump and not the outer walls of the sump itself. Is this what you mean?

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your sump glass or acrylic?

I have used acrylic baffles in glass sumps in the past, and although they do ok, you can expect some warping over time. For my last (current) sump, a glass 40b, I used 1/4" glass for the baffles and I'm much happier with them. The cost is similar so that's not really a factor.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, Bill.

When making your own sump, I like using glass tanks with glass baffles. Although, mine are only 3/8 thickness.

I'm doing a new build with a 40 long as a sump. Lots of room for easy maintenance.

OP
OP
S

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its just a 40 gal from the petco $/gal sale. i've decided to not diy this though. it doesn't seem like its worth the hassle when trigger systems makes something that's fairly affordable in the size w/ the features i want

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its just a 40 gal from the petco $/gal sale. i've decided to not diy this though. it doesn't seem like its worth the hassle when trigger systems makes something that's fairly affordable in the size w/ the features i want

Well... in the end, only you can decide what is best for you. If you view building your own sump as a hassle, then maybe it is better that you buy one already made.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Dom

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 81 44.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 84 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.3%
Back