Sump design feedback

JanBanan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glued this sump together in a hurry. Did I miss some crucial part? Overflow enters from the right, will put a filter sock on the pipe, overflows the first baffle into Refugium area and under the second baffle, over the third and gets pumped back to the display?
Will have Chaeto and some rock in the refugium I think. Made the return chamber a bit big to accommodate two pumps and a canister filter for carbon etc.

Did I mess up not doing more research?

D4C505D0-B308-4238-B299-5567BA58EAFE.jpeg

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your left most baffle lower than your right most baffle?

If you're going to be putting on/taking off a sock onto your return line, you might think of protecting that top section of glass baffling on the right, assuming you didn't already polish it down- glass cuts in saltwater aren't a ton of fun :)

I assume you're running a refugium only and not planning on running a skimmer?

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, congratulations on your first post!

OP
OP
JanBanan

JanBanan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you're going to be putting on/taking off a sock onto your return line, you might think of protecting that top section of glass baffling on the right, assuming you didn't already polish it down- glass cuts in saltwater aren't a ton of fun :)

Yeah I knew I had forgotten something when I was siliconing it, the skimmer should have been in that first compartment, now it obviously won’t fit so lol have to move that first baffle. Regarding the two overflow baffles, they are approximately the same height.

OP
OP
JanBanan

JanBanan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Correction the baffles are exactly the same height, why would I put the left most lower? Then much of the fuge would get pumped up to the display before the pump ran dry in case of a catastrophic blockage in the DT overflow?

1882F631-85B1-48AE-A6ED-66B014398D75.jpeg

OP
OP
JanBanan

JanBanan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I should have started with a under baffle to reduce bubbles from the skimmer entering the fuge? Would also make the Left most baffle the only one regulating water level

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back