Sump Design-Need imput

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to make this a separate thread as it is a separate topic. I'm beginning a 125 reef tank with a sump. Decided to go with a 55 gal--going as large as I can to begin with as there is no way I'll tear down tank to upgrade!

Here is my design. Would love feedback, comments, recommended changes, etc. My goal is to have a refuguium at least 10 % of tank size which I do. Sump is 48x12.75x21. Drawing not exact to scale or with precise measurements. Also, plumbing not planned or figure out. Just enough to get the basic shape/design.

I have it planned as 2 drains each overflow. 2 into skimmer chamber, 2 into refugium with a line taking excess if needed to chamber 1. Refugium flows into return chamber

Questions:
Is the return pump area bigger than need be?
Haven't decided between live rocks or socks in first chamber with the skimmer. Might be able to use both or a foam shelf.
Tank has 2 mega overflows. Originally had 2 drains and 2 returns. Thinking of using 2 drains in each overflow--a dursa and herbie--pluses or minuses?
Return will go over the tank and split--good or bad or should I have 2 return pumps
How tall should the baffle be in the first compartment (skimmer)
How tall should the baffle be for the refugium (tank 21 tall)
How tall for the return area
125 tank.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, some changes. Thoughts, ideas? Lucky when it comes time to put together, my hubby is good with plumbing. Just not design or tank needs

125 tank 2a.jpg

ChrisOFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your second design better but I don't think you would need a ball valve on the intake to the sump since you are using overflows they control the flow rate into the sump based onto the return pump flow rate. You could also consider removing the rubble/bubble trap and just making that part of your refugium as well, I would also move the media chamber to after the refugium so the algae has the most nutrients available for export and it would act as your bubble trap before the return as well. So you would have a larger refugium for more microfauna/algae and the filter media would come after the refugium to remove what the refugium can not.

Edit: also noticed that you are saying the water in each section will be as high as the tallest baffle but it can not be any higher than the shortest baffle.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Cronicreefer I was just figuring out a baffle height for ordering them and noticed that size sump has that size baffle If I can I'd like to use that size but am not sure if I don't need each section to be lower than the previous one? IE 15 steps down to 14 t0 13 etc. Or can they all be the same height. I noticed a lot of return areas even step down to a 6 or 7 inch high baffle.

One reason I put the media before the refuge was so pods would go right to the return and not get trapped in media like filter floss or carbon bags. The idea is to feed pods to the display. Wouldn't I end up with tossing some out when I change sponges etc?

One reason for the ball valves was in case I needed to stop flow fast or adjust to less flow? Yes? No?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why you feel like you have to connect the left and right side of the sump together with that extra pipe. I feel that it's not needed and does nothing. Now I only have a 40B sump, but also have a drain coming in the for each corner of the sump. Note that there is NO connector to left and right side of the sump. Drain on the right is into the refugium, drain on the left is first through a filter sock and into the skimmer. Middle section is the return (and when this picture was taken, I was also running biopellets in that middle section...since removed). I believe the expression is KISS! :rolleyes::D
IMG_2080.JPG

ChrisOFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Cronicreefer I was just figuring out a baffle height for ordering them and noticed that size sump has that size baffle If I can I'd like to use that size but am not sure if I don't need each section to be lower than the previous one? IE 15 steps down to 14 t0 13 etc. Or can they all be the same height. I noticed a lot of return areas even step down to a 6 or 7 inch high baffle.

One reason I put the media before the refuge was so pods would go right to the return and not get trapped in media like filter floss or carbon bags. The idea is to feed pods to the display. Wouldn't I end up with tossing some out when I change sponges etc?

One reason for the ball valves was in case I needed to stop flow fast or adjust to less flow? Yes? No?
The flow into the sump is completely controlled by your return pump so the only ball valve I would use is on the return line. As the water fills your display it can only overflow at whatever rate the pump is putting water back into the display because the overflow is at the water line. If the intake was below the water line then you would need ball valves to control the drain flow.
I'd step down the baffle between each section but how much you choose is more about what water height you desire. As far as pods, they should have no issue getting past the filter media but you could always place it in the return chamber. I put a foam sponge around my return pump intake nozzle and just set my media bags on top for good flow.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@redfishbluefish by extra pipe, are you talking about the pipe from the right overflow going across to drain in the skimmer area? I'll have 2 drains, one on each side of tank. So I added a pipe to go from overflow drain to skimmer area. There will be 2 drains flowing in that area. Original design had the drain going into the fuge but it was suggested that they both go to the skimmer so that means a pipe to carry water there. I have read some people drain one into fuge for nutrients which is why I had the pump chamber in the middle.

If I'm not getting you, please clarify.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry, I was referring to your first picture, and didn't take note of the second picture until now. My comments were in relation to the first picture.

Your second design is just fine, with my old comment that "media", I'm assuming, is carbon/gfo/something. I feel having this before the refugium further strips the water of nutrients that the refugium should have first shot at.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I think I have a workable design. The only thing I could tweak is making room to put the ato back into the sump and save myself 5 inches of cabinet space. I could do:
7 inches for pump chamber instead of 8. says 7 but it is 8--forgot to change text. Maybe even 6"?
4 inches for media chamber
13 for skimmer chamber
18 for fuge

That would give me 5 inches for the ato section.

Worth putting it back in, or keeping the sump as is
125 tank 2b.jpg

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question Susan......not sure if your diagrams are to scale, but if so, the top of the sump tank is not that far from the top of the cabinet. Are you going to be able to get your skimmer in and out of the sump?

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know lol's as I don't have the cabinet yet. Sump is 21 inches and the stand is 30. Right now there isn't anything else in that section so hoping it can tip and be pulled out.

skimmer is about 20. With cup off about 16. the one pipe is 20 (aduster). I'll be testing it when I get the stand, and then the tank for the sump.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, some changes. Thoughts, ideas? Lucky when it comes time to put together, my hubby is good with plumbing. Just not design or tank needs

125 tank 2a.jpg
I like this one much better than the first one you proposed.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also consider removing the rubble/bubble trap and just making that part of your refugium as well, .

I agree... I installed a bubble trap in my last sump build and find that it takes up space and doesn't do much because there aren't many bubbles.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question Susan......not sure if your diagrams are to scale, but if so, the top of the sump tank is not that far from the top of the cabinet. Are you going to be able to get your skimmer in and out of the sump?

Good question. Wish someone would have asked me this question! LOL

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know lol's as I don't have the cabinet yet. Sump is 21 inches and the stand is 30. Right now there isn't anything else in that section so hoping it can tip and be pulled out.

skimmer is about 20. With cup off about 16. the one pipe is 20 (aduster). I'll be testing it when I get the stand, and then the tank for the sump.

And, with a 15 inch high baffle, I'd guess your skimmer would be on a shelf as well.....raised up even higher. Something to figure out now versus when you've got it filled with water. :cool:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 54 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.0%
Back