Sump design questions

Cmarez93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[URL=http://s293.photobucket.com/user/kb_1_bucket/media/C6B21B5B-DD4C-47B7-9FAD-EC46637C6DEA_zpst9pnrvl8.jpeg.html][/URL]I recently picked up a 330 gal tank that had a 75 gal sump with it. The seller designed it himself. I’m trying to figure out how the water would move from each chamber. The left side ( which I would think would be the first chamber) looks like water would flow from below the egg crate filter holder as it goes to the second chamber. Am I thinking if this right or do I have the sides of the sump flipped? Also, please share comments or suggestion on the design as I’ll be getting this system setup soon.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant tell from your pic but what are the heights of the 2 baffles in the center section that are glued to the bottom. Water only flows down hill.

It looks to me like it was supposed to be used from right to left with a skimmer in the right section with drains entering, refugium in the center and return section on the left.
That would have water passing down through the media on the egg crate.

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. It's a right to left. Basically like this but without the filter sock holder and one more baffle between the skimmer/drain section and refugium. https://modularmarine.com/collectio...1-75-gal-protein-skimmer-sump-aquarium-filter

I'm saying right to left but it could be any direction depending on which side of the sump you were looking at. Feel free to turn it around if it works better for your tank drains but the egg crate should be on the return side.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, the way that pic is oriented, right to left.
Splashdown/Refugeum
Skimmer, etc. area
Double wall overflow with eggcrate, probably intended to hold floss pad or bagged carbon or such.
Return pump compartment

Mr.Asbury

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished designing my sump, and I basically did this design but in a 40g breeder. The right side has to be for a skimmer, you'd have trouble fitting a skimmer rated for you tank size in the left chamber. I plan to put egg crate where yours is as well to keep the stuff growing in the refugium from flowing into the return pump chamber on the left and clogging up the pump. Hope this helps!

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 71 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back