Sump design

helms20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I was hoping you could look at my sump design and help me tweak it.

I am not sure if the fuge is large enough. It's only a 20 gallon tank and pulling from a 45 gallon tall tank.

Anyways I am willing to change it but not sure how or what I need to change if anything.

Basically it will be an inlet that overflows through a sponge/foam down through a sock, under a baffle into the skimmer section, over a baffle to the fuge, through an under-over-under bubble trap to a small return section.

Let me know what you all think when you have time. Dimensions are 30 long, 12 wide, and 12.5 tall.
b182c1e0c4fe1c83c9245f3d13973b55.jpg
d4ca05d57344c3d4f3f526a6fe60e373.jpg

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. Looks like inlet/sock area could be smaller. Could have drain pipe going directly into sock to gain some fuge room. Could also get a hang on sock holder

OP
OP
helms20

helms20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. Looks like inlet/sock area could be smaller. Could have drain pipe going directly into sock to gain some fuge room. Could also get a hang on sock holder
Good idea. The socks I looked at were 4" in diameter so I marked it at 6. So you think remove the inlet piece and expand the fuge into that area, as well as reduce the sock filter size?

Would I even need a baffle between the sock and skimmer? I wasn't sure so for worst case I drew one in.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello helms. Your design looks good. I wouldn't think Ya need a baffle between sock & skimmer. as the sock will take care of any micro bubbles. Just make sure the skimmer intake won't be close to/facing the sock .

OP
OP
helms20

helms20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello helms. Your design looks good. I wouldn't think Ya need a baffle between sock & skimmer. as the sock will take care of any micro bubbles. Just make sure the skimmer intake won't be close to/facing the sock .
Great thanks for the comments.

OP
OP
helms20

helms20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so this brings up another question. What about reactors? Should I pipe out to a reactor through a manifold on my drain lines, or on the return, or something else? I was thinking I would need a pho and carbon reactor. Since this is my first tank and first sump I am not sure.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't put a manifold off the drain lines... manifold should either go off the return line or use a separate pump to feed.

As previously mentioned, the baffle between the socks and skimmer section can be removed. This increases the skimmer space so you have room for future expansion of items. I think your fuge section is plenty big for a 45g DT. I've seen alot of people shoot for the fuge to be at least 10% of the DT. In your case, that would be at least 4.5g... How many gallons is your fuge going to hold?

Make sure you do those sump chamber "gallons" calculations... and more importantly, the gallons of "free space" above the baffles so you know how much DT water can back-siphon into your sump without worrying about an overflow flood.

OP
OP
helms20

helms20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok this tank is only 12" tall so should I take it back and get a 29 gallon tall? It will be shorter but deeper.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The longer the sump, the bigger the refugium could be, the less need for water changes and reactors.
As far as height... Would say 16-18 inches is ideal, but it depends on how much room you have under tank, and height of skimmer, and height of water skimmer is supposed to sit in.
Pick your skimmer then build your sump around that.
Have one pump for return, and another for running reactors so it's not a guess as to how much water is going to display.
Make sure to drill a hole/siphon break just below tank water surface on return line, and measure how much water falls down to sump so you now max fill on sump and avoid floods

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there Ya go helms, That was a lot of good info. That should keep You busy planing a while . ;)

OP
OP
helms20

helms20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The longer the sump, the bigger the refugium could be, the less need for water changes and reactors.
As far as height... Would say 16-18 inches is ideal, but it depends on how much room you have under tank, and height of skimmer, and height of water skimmer is supposed to sit in.
Pick your skimmer then build your sump around that.
Have one pump for return, and another for running reactors so it's not a guess as to how much water is going to display.
Make sure to drill a hole/siphon break just below tank water surface on return line, and measure how much water falls down to sump so you now max fill on sump and avoid floods
Question if you don't mind. Would I Be better off with doing away with the reactors and increasing my sump or run with both?

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you plan a fuge, you would want the return in the middle to get the best use from fuge I think. I was always told to feed fuge dirty water instead of skimmed water. I am running nothing other than rock, skimmer, filter sock in skimmer section, and a deep sand bed in sump on my roughly 200 gallon system. It is setup with skimmer on one end, deep sand bed on the other, and return in the middle. Last time I checked phosphate was .02, and nitrate was around 8

OP
OP
helms20

helms20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joker thank you for the info. I think I am going to return this tank and purchase one from someone that is very similar but 7" taller so I have a little more wiggle room.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run both off one pump, and one return. Reactors are mostly external, only room for a pump is needed.

Try to set up as big a fuge, or algae scrubber, or bio pellets, and avoid carbon of phos would be my plan. Then if you need to add it ....

Would also disagree with return pump in middle

Last edited:

Tim P

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@helms20 Trust in the MEAT. He knows his stuff. Has been a lifesaver helping me build a 190G over weeks and weeks.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back