Sump Drain Line

bmbpka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always read that the drain line into the sump should be 1” below the water level. Is that minimum or exact number? Can it be deeper into the water? Just curious, I never paid attention and thought about today as mine is 6” below water level in sump.

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason for not having the line too high is.... honestly efficiency otherwise I'm not sure

The reason for not having it too low is that when your return pump turns off for water changes or a power outage the display tank will drain to the level of the drain line so for example if your drain line is at the bottom of the tank and your return turns off, your entire tank will drain into your sump and likely overflow your tank and flood your room depending on tank size

OP
OP
bmbpka

bmbpka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason for not having the line too high is.... honestly efficiency otherwise I'm not sure

The reason for not having it too low is that when your return pump turns off for water changes or a power outage the display tank will drain to the level of the drain line so for example if your drain line is at the bottom of the tank and your return turns off, your entire tank will drain into your sump and likely overflow your tank and flood your room depending on tank size

I’m sorry, let me clarify. I’m talking about the line that goes into the sump/sock. Not the line into the tank.

bigdrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is about 3 inches into the sump. I did it that way to reduce the gurgling and splash. Any deeper, and it seemed to be more splashy, and shorter was worse too.

I arrived at my length via trial and error.

I’m not sure there is a wrong answer to this.

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the overflow like. Not sure how that would drain a tank though? I was lost when you brought that up.
[/QUOTE.
water overflows out of the tank. It will continue to do so till its level is below that of the overflow. Tidal gardens did a good video that covers this

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your talking about the overflow? if so that is what I described, the return pump will also do the same

I believe the OP is talking about the main drain line as it enters the sump water level. Not the height of the drain line in the overflow box.

Basically it comes down to two things. Noise and back pressure. Ideally you want your main siphon lower than the waterline in the sump and this is to eliminate any noise from the water entering the sump. But too low into the water line and the water can create back pressure in the main drain which prevents the air in the line from escaping. If the air can't escape the main drain ends up getting choked and the siphon will not form.

Unfortunately, literally every system is different in this case, different drain sizes, designs, pipe length, drain run and volume of flow all play a role in this equation which is why there really is no one size fits all depth for the pipe to enter the water in the sump.

So to answer your question, no, there is no set depth the pipe has to go into the sump. Ideally the lower it is the quieter it is, but it needs to be short enough to prevent the issue I described above. If your pipe is 6 inches into your sump and the siphon starts with no issues, then your good to go :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
bmbpka

bmbpka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the OP is talking about the main drain line as it enters the sump water level. Not the height of the drain line in the overflow box.

Basically it comes down to two things. Noise and back pressure. Ideally you want your main siphon lower than the waterline in the sump and this is to eliminate any noise from the water entering the sump. But too low into the water line and the water can create back pressure in the main drain which prevents the air in the line from escaping. If the air can't escape the main drain ends up getting choked and the siphon will not form.

Unfortunately, literally every system is different in this case, different drain sizes, designs, pipe length, drain run and volume of flow all play a role in this equation which is why there really is no one size fits all depth for the pipe to enter the water in the sump.

So to answer your question, no, there is no set depth the pipe has to go into the sump. Ideally the lower it is the quieter it is, but it needs to be short enough to prevent the issue I described above. If your pipe is 6 inches into your sump and the siphon starts with no issues, then your good to go :)

This is exactly what I’m talking about! Thank you.

Only issue I’m noticing is the water enters the sump at an aggressive speed. Lots of turbulence in the sock compartment. Other than that, seems to run quite well.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back