Sump drain question

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a chance to pick up a trigger ruby 36" sump for a great deal for my new build, the issue I have is the drain for my tank is on the right side and if I put the sump in the drains for the sump will be on the left, or I can put it the other way and the drains would be in the frt of the stand.

My concern is I will have 90's either way and will that cause issues with the drain?

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can turn it the other way, but would not recommend it. Would make changing the socks really easy, but the plumbing would get in the way of getting to the Skimmer (usually in the first chamber). Adding 90s should not be an issue. I use a 90 on my return with no problem (return in 1.5 inch and have pushed over 800gph with no issues). If concerned about a 90 you could use 2 45s and space them a bit apart to get the 90 turn which would probably allow for increased flow.

Another option would be to use braided flexible tubing which will allow a gradual turn and lessen the impact on flow - also a lot easier to install:)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 59 55.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.5%
Back