Sump Flow Check/Question

  • Thread starter Thread starter litebulb
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

litebulb

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 29, 2016
Messages
93
Reaction score
14
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally got the water to settle just under the overflow drain pipe and have the Vectra M2 running at 85%. It seems now that i have too much return flow in the sump as the water is flowing over the first chamber into the second. Is this okay? It obviously flows much faster over the chamber if I install the filter silencer/baffles so I pulled them out.

 
I don't own the tank in question, but you may either have too much flow or you need to clean/change-out your filter socks - because the water seems to be pouring through the emergency slots in your filter sock chamber to prevent the sump from overflowing. Quite a bit of water seems to be bypassing your filtration altogether.
 
Gotcha, kinda what I was thinking but wasn’t sure. System is 5 days old so all filter socks are brand new. Thank you, I’ll back pump off and start over adjusting the valve
 
5 days in use = dirty sock. They typically fill up/clog in just a few days.

Which is why I don't use socks. I know I'd get lazy about changing/cleaning every 3-4 days and the collected detritus would just start breaking down and adding nutrients to the water.
 
Agreed - especially if you used live sand. If you're going to stick with filter socks (many do), you'll want to invest in probably 3-4 sets of 2 so you have clean spares that you can swap-in at a moment's notice.

Drop me a line if you'd like some laundry instructions for OxiClean.
 
thanks for the replies, I need to remove them and replace with cup setup I suppose anyway. Or figure what rollermat to use!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new