Sump foaming

01xp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity. When you do your water change take the black bio balls out and see what happens it looks like they're collecting bubbles making the foam...

OP
OP
CalebD90

CalebD90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

OP
OP
CalebD90

CalebD90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity. When you do your water change take the black bio balls out and see what happens it looks like they're collecting bubbles making the foam...
I will definitely try it, they’ve only been in there for a couple days and this has been happening for a while now but worth a shot

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, prob too late but i would recommend you switch your drains to a herbie design. You would need to run your returns up the back of the tank. Use both holes in the overflow for the drains. Its super quiet and a much better design. Your problem may be because durso's suck air. That air has to go somewhere.

OP
OP
CalebD90

CalebD90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, prob too late but i would recommend you switch your drains to a herbie design. You would need to run your returns up the back of the tank. Use both holes in the overflow for the drains. Its super quiet and a much better design. Your problem may be because durso's suck air. That air has to go somewhere.
Do you have a picture of one of those setups? And the drilled holes for the return Are different size than the overflow. Not sure if that will effect anything. Overflow is 1” and return is 3/4”

01xp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a durso in my seapora 75 it's not foaming. It's louder than my hob herbie but work w/o issues. It could also be the 2 1inch pipes going to the 1.5. Could be causing some issues? What that plumbing from the start? Was it foaming from the start with the plimbing?

OP
OP
CalebD90

CalebD90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a durso in my seapora 75 it's not foaming. It's louder than my hob herbie but work w/o issues. It could also be the 2 1inch pipes going to the 1.5. Could be causing some issues? What that plumbing from the start? Was it foaming from the start with the plimbing?
I’ve changed it up since the beginning but yes it’s been doing it for a while. No clue how the previous owner had the plumbing, but I have the same concept on another tank with no foam issues. Pretty sure it was from the Aquascape putty, I used a crap load of it and introduced it all to the tank in one day. Doing a water change today

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your drain is essentially acting as a skimmer. Acuascaping putty will exacerbate the problem, though only for a day or so.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back