Rating - 0%
0   0   0

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw I had a similar problem with a home made stand on a 240g. I ended up plumbing 2 smaller tanks together into a "T" fitting between them and had the "T" connect to the pump.

Then I Rand a T off of my overflow so that there was alone feeding each side.

That gave me the volume I needed to avoid overflowing the sump when the return pump was off.

Basically another 2 PVC fittings and a couple more sections of pipe and I was in business.

OP
OP
lost66

lost66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is regular 40g tank. It is 19.25" wide. Aqueon has long version which is more narrow and longer but petco doesn't have it on their page.

Definitely try for a bigger sump than a 29g. I got a 90g DP with a 29g sump, and wish I had more room (Equiptment is pretty tight and makes it more cumbersome to work on). Do you got an idea what equiptment and what size refugium you want to be using?
What is talking about 29g? I am aware 29g is too small.

I really don’t know much about diy stands but it seems way overbuilt. This is the only design I’ve ever used :

F8600D32-1379-4E9F-AA94-2E51F96EB655.jpeg

I’ve used it for up to a 180. Besides the fact it’s completely open it was designed by someone who knows more then I do.

I’m not trying to knock your design obviously it will hold the tank but if it’s limiting your sump perhaps it’s a good idea to rethink it before you go too far.
My tank will be 96 inches long. I believe - and I am not construction engineer - that additional support is needed for longer tank. @bdesign has exact the same tank and I am following his design of the stand (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/240g-peninsula-stand-and-canopy-build.546368/) . From his thread I can see he spent some time to process everything. 240g DT is a big financial deal with me (stupid me, following my dreams) and I can't imagine the impact if the tank breaks. And additional beams (comparing your design) will bring peace in my mind. Plus it is much easier to install doors - it's 96 inches stand.

Try a 55g tank. Should be standard size at Petco and is a similar footprint to the 40l just taller.

Not sure how close these are to you but just in case.

Hth
I checked CL, saw those tanks. I sent a message to them. Jay doesn't know his tank size... And the second guy hasn't replied yet.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your stand is superb and needed that support in the middle. It is unfortunate that a sump won’t fit threw the center but I had the same problem. I wish I spent the money on building a custom sump. I instead bought y check valves and a 20 gallon long for my 120. The check valves alone were the cost of a custom built glass box.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back