240G Peninsula Stand and Canopy Build

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received a new 240 gallon long tank (96" x 24" x 25") from Glasscages.

I've drawn up a stand and canopy setup that I'm fairly happy with, but I'm always open to suggestions, so I'm posting the concept here to get some feedback.

This tank will be in the center of a room, thus the electrical/water chase.

Comments / Suggestions on ANYTHING?

240L 1.JPG

240L 2.JPG

240L 3.JPG

240L 4.JPG

240L 5.JPG

240L 6.JPG

OP
OP
bdesign

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using a section of unistrut on either side of the canopy.
Not ideal, but once built, if sag is an issue, I’ll support with aircraft cable to the deck.

OP
OP
bdesign

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great design!! Only question is how the canopy will be supported cantelevering 8' as drawn. Might (probably) going to tanke some metal and heavy duty reinforcement to pull that off.
Looks good though

“Professional Woodworker”?!

@Admin: How can I block @ndrwater from seeing the finished/constructed setup lest he judge me to pieces with an extended eye-roll and face palm?

Haha

OP
OP
bdesign

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Dug

I’m curious about the height of the lights from the surface of the water.
I’m considering ATI SunPower T5’s...

From what I understand, the lights should be just a few inches from the water, but it seems most of the photos of tanks that I see have the lights hanging very high.

I would image the low height would make tank maintenance / accessibility a nightmare...?

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Dug

I’m curious about the height of the lights from the surface of the water.
I’m considering ATI SunPower T5’s...

From what I understand, the lights should be just a few inches from the water, but it seems most of the photos of tanks that I see have the lights hanging very high.

I would image the low height would make tank maintenance / accessibility a nightmare...?
I just have black box LEDs, which are about 12" from water surface. But I can flip my entire canopy up 90* in the event of major maintenance. Idk how much room you have for ceiling height, but hinging the canopy here might be useful.

20190127_084516.jpg

OP
OP
bdesign

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have black box LEDs, which are about 12" from water surface. But I can flip my entire canopy up 90* in the event of major maintenance. Idk how much room you have for ceiling height, but hinging the canopy here might be useful.

20190127_084516.jpg

I think my planned hinge IS where you're suggesting, no?

240L 7.JPG

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my planned hinge IS where you're suggesting, no?

No, I meant hinge the ENTIRE canopy on the short side, in order to get the whole thing out of the way if need be. But I was probably drunk when said that, cuz it dont seem like such a great idea now lol

U

User1

View Badges
I'm going to also second, and recommend, another look at the possible cantilevering. In fact, it isn't a "possible" thing, it is just science. Plenty of calculators or formulas out there to handle / support the load so you don't have to fix later. I had a similar issue with my tank but in the end decided to just do a traditional canopy rather than a floating style.

Good luck. Design looks nice.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great!!! I would paint/seat the bajezus out of that OSB though.. all wood around a fish tank seems to get wet at some point... OSB doesn't like water at all...

shark keeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking really good! Depending on your viewing location you may get a glare from the lights. I started out with a design something like that but later enclosed the top due to that issue. I will tagging along to see your progress.

OP
OP
bdesign

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@shark keeper
CRAP - I was standing there last night looking at it wondering if the lights were going to be obnoxious.

I just really dislike the look of a canopy sitting on top of the tank.

I could have / should have enclosed it and reduced the overall height by a foot... ding dang it.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back