Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your light height will be fine.

Great design :)

I was considering something similar for the lights on my 5' peninsula, but ended up hanging them from the ceiling. Single 4' x 8 bulb T5 unit. Worked out fine. Easily adjustable, if I need to get 'em out of the way, but I keep it pretty high, probably 20" above the water. Yeah, it leaks light, but doesn't look bad.

You might start thinking about flow. Getting decent flow on the far end of a peninsula tank can be tough. I ended up putting a pump on the visible end of mine... just couldn't get the flow I wanted without it, and that was at only 5' in length.

Keep posting!

shark keeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@shark keeper
CRAP - I was standing there last night looking at it wondering if the lights were going to be obnoxious. I don't think it will be obnoxious but if sitting down it will bother you for sure.

I just really dislike the look of a canopy sitting on top of the tank. We recently moved to I had to move my tank... painful! But I decided to close it in behind a wall. Sort of like a picture frame. But I am saying all that to say that right now the lights are not covered and the glare is killing me. I cant wait to get the cabinet door installed.

I could have / should have enclosed it and reduced the overall height by a foot... ding dang it.
From the looks of the last picture you still have time to make the change.

OP
OP
bdesign

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your light height will be fine.

Great design :)

I was considering something similar for the lights on my 5' peninsula, but ended up hanging them from the ceiling. Single 4' x 8 bulb T5 unit. Worked out fine. Easily adjustable, if I need to get 'em out of the way, but I keep it pretty high, probably 20" above the water. Yeah, it leaks light, but doesn't look bad.

You might start thinking about flow. Getting decent flow on the far end of a peninsula tank can be tough. I ended up putting a pump on the visible end of mine... just couldn't get the flow I wanted without it, and that was at only 5' in length.

Keep posting!

Thanks, man.

I hear you on the flow concern.

I’m planning on running the return lines along the top (just under the eurobracing) and drop in at the far end with Loc-Line on the ends.

...AND I have nearly succumbed to the fact that I’ll need a WAV on the visible end aimed back toward the overflow <sighs>.

OP
OP
bdesign

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the looks of the last picture you still have time to make the change.

I do have time, BUT...

I’d rather be a complete idiot and build it twice; first like I envisioned <and know will be a failure> and then a second time the way you suggest.

Just because “... I’m a dreamer <and I’m not the only one.>” and hope it won’t be an eyesore. Hahahahaha

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm loving the build so far. My dream tank is essentially this size, with a similar cabinet setup. Wifey still needs convincing. :)

OP
OP
bdesign

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great!!! I would paint/seat the bajezus out of that OSB though.. all wood around a fish tank seems to get wet at some point... OSB doesn't like water at all...

Yessir.

I had planned on using 3/4” Birch ply, but returned it purely due to esthetics.

All walls in the design room at my place feature painted OSB trimmed in white, so it felt odd to have this monstrosity not have the same esthetic.

Besides that, if history is any sort of indicator, I seem to like (love) to create (avoidable) problems for myself.

8752a081ad578be1883c9c4e793acd1b.jpg

OP
OP
bdesign

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm loving the build so far. My dream tank is essentially this size, with a similar cabinet setup. Wifey still needs convincing. :)

Thanks!

My wifey was and is not amused at all.

Hopefully the end result changes her mind... you know... because women are allowed to and DO change their mind... except when it’s in the guy’s favor. Bahahaha

OP
OP
bdesign

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the contrast of the grey and white. You are going to paint the wood inside the stand right?

Thanks!

Absolutely painting everything...

I would have much rather pre-painted (so much easier), but after stressing about how I was going to get the tank moved/placed onto the stand (I have no friends/family), an opportunity for help suddenly presented itself and I had to take advantage of it.

OP
OP
bdesign

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AQUASCAPE

okay... comments/suggestions?

I’ll not be offended.

This is approximately 260lbs of rock.

It’s weird, the rock layout in these photos looks so small, but in person it’s much larger/more significant.

My original thought was to have the rock very high at the end overflow, tapering down to the far end, but somehow I ended up with this...

At this point, my plan is/was to buy more small pieces to fill in the gaps between the large rocks to lessen the individual-rock-stacked look, but after thinking about it, this layout seems somewhat “vertically” oriented, which may be troublesome for coral layout/placement?

Should it possibly have more expanses of flat surface area?

Does this layout looks too artificial due to all the rock being centralized with space around all sides? (I was trying to be mindful of ease of vacuuming sand and glass cleaning).

I don’t want this to look like a pile of rocks dumped into the middle of the tank.

Although I really like a full looking tank, I’m worried that once all coral grows in, the tank will be too full for the fish to have adequate swimming area.

1b23ec624e435db3a7f08a52891e2983.jpg

6062179c21140f591d323b58fd55ebcf.jpg

c380238eabcdfed0206b969b5a30ccd9.jpg

18470e739b2f91d4c1dcc028240e9d90.jpg

b41142847f2de581b08a3dcca9d5fc5a.jpg

e51ae698f32820074b0150e172a9c3de.jpg

c9ad62de9dd193d476ff04af09870057.jpg

005ef85e0158270a071f304755a22fb9.jpg

0e5dcdf3f47fac0c845d580db91a58eb.jpg

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AQUASCAPE

okay... comments/suggestions?

I’ll not be offended.

This is approximately 260lbs of rock.

It’s weird, the rock layout in these photos looks so small, but in person it’s much larger/more significant.

My original thought was to have the rock very high at the end overflow, tapering down to the far end, but somehow I ended up with this...

At this point, my plan is/was to buy more small pieces to fill in the gaps between the large rocks to lessen the individual-rock-stacked look, but after thinking about it, this layout seems somewhat “vertically” oriented, which may be troublesome for coral layout/placement?

Should it possibly have more expanses of flat surface area?

Does this layout looks too artificial due to all the rock being centralized with space around all sides? (I was trying to be mindful of ease of vacuuming sand and glass cleaning).

I don’t want this to look like a pile of rocks dumped into the middle of the tank.

Although I really like a full looking tank, I’m worried that once all coral grows in, the tank will be too full for the fish to have adequate swimming area.

I think it looks good. Lots of fun pass throughs and caves for the fish. It may be a bit "straight" along the back/left side if you're worried about it looking artificial. But you need to balance having bits jutting out vs having good flow down the tank.

I'd say that what you have is a very good base and as precise as you can /should be before getting it in the tank. You can add little pieces around the base after if you like. But as you say, you'll be adding corals. So as you get little Zooanthid rocks, or open brains, or clams or etc etc then you will have small islands and things that will soften the edges.

Looking forward to seeing it come together!

Cheers, Tony

Jskinn27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you paint the black trim on the tank white? If so what did you use?

OP
OP
bdesign

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I've been MIA with the build thread... What a big disaster it has been. haha

That said - the build is "done" (I say "done" because I've learned that this will be a never ending tinker project).

I'll post photos a little later today.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back