OP
OP
bdesign

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I'm really interested to see how the MDF holds up with Behr. I've used Behr products out the wazoo (that mean a lot) but am not so sure I would have went with an all-in-one Behr product. Especially on the inside of the stand.

Well, you have me on "from a distance" because I always say, "I'm handsome from a distance moving at a speed greater than 75mph!"

Which piano hinges did you use? Did you coat them with anything to help prevent rust if they're not SS?

Hot mess, or not, honesty in reefing! ;)

Also, maybe share a pic of that 4 wheeled bucket of bolts, under the cover, in the background of a pic from the beginning of this thread?

Also, the skin is OSB, not MDF.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, the skin is OSB, not MDF.

Yes, OSB, but of course! I knew that but kept typing MDF and not OSB. Sorry.

ABC... 123... OMD... OCD.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you know... because OSB is SO much better than MDF. haha

I hear ya but, given the choice betwixt the two, I'm going with OSB every single time.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey mister... we're still waiting for pics of what's under the hood! Oh, and also for that car under the cover. What gives?

OP
OP
bdesign

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey mister... we're still waiting for pics of what's under the hood! Oh, and also for that car under the cover. What gives?

If you REALLY want to see what’s under there, I have plenty of little projects I need help with, so you can see for yourself when you come here and help me with them.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you REALLY want to see what’s under there, I have plenty of little projects I need help with, so you can see for yourself when you come here and help me with them.

No, you're right, it should have said, "Bucket-O-Bolts!" And I don't believe I hurt Betty's feelings. Everyone knows German woman do not have feelings. (Annnnd here come the PC police.)

What sort of self-respecting man takes a picture of his cabriolet with the top up? Sheesh...

Speaking of buckets-o-bolts; I once worked with a guy who owned a couple of 356s. One was his "driver" and the other was his show car. He belonged to the 356 Club of America or some such thing. He talked about his 356s so much that, in spite of their hand-pounded beauty and prowess, I grew to hate them. 356 this and 356 that and 356 and 356 and 356. Oh, hey, did I tell you about my 356? Well, I changed the air in the tires on my 356... 356... 356... 356...
Oddly enough, because I knew his cars were his love and passion, I would occasionally ask him what was new with his 356s then sit back and listen. It usually doesn't take much effort to be kind. And if you let it get around that I can sometimes be kind, I'll be taking a drive to see you but it won't be to help clean up your heaping pile of wires and cables! ;)

I'd love to help you with whatever projects you have but don't think you can afford me. I'm a high-class, high-falutin' fellar, after all! :p

OP
OP
bdesign

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t even know what XXX number mine is. I’m not a ********* (at least for that reason!) like that.

Afford you?
Hey, you and I are pals... what’s this talk of paying??

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t even know what XXX number mine is. I’m not a ********* (at least for that reason!) like that.

Afford you?
Hey, you and I are pals... what’s this talk of paying??

How's that old saying go... Grass, gas or butt... no one gets anything for free!

Actually, if I lived closer, I'd hop in my car, cruise over and set you right up. For real.

I do not know why but, for some reason, I think you live in Ohio. Is this correct?

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohio?
What the... stinkin’ stalker
<looks out window for crusso>

Seriously, though, I have no idea how I know this...

Look all you want... you'll never know I'm there!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey bud... what gives over here? Anything new and exciting?

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't updated in a little while. What's new and different with your system?

Water_world

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bdesign - excellent build! What size/brand sump Are you using, and are you using 1” or 1.5” overflows?

OP
OP
bdesign

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bdesign - excellent build! What size/brand sump Are you using, and are you using 1” or 1.5” overflows?

THANKS!
The sump is Trigger Systems' Tideline 48.

I have 1 1/2" return lines into the display.

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering ordering this exact tank from Glasscages.com (before seeing this thread). Do you have the specs from your order? It would be very helpful to see. Also know any changes you would've made with the order. I appreciate the help, the setup looks amazing!

clover128

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW - I'm not convinced that I would recommend floating the canopy idea... Although I do prefer / like the aesthetic, the visibility (and light spill of) the lights really bugs me.

Given the chance to redo, I THINK I would have done a "traditional" canopy that rests against the tank top.

Then again, I never take the opportunity to do things the simplest and most obvious way - I must subconsciously like trauma, heartbreak and tears.

I agree - I must be old school, or just old! (been in the hobby about 28 yrs) Cause I don't get the trend for exposed lights for that primary reason. Plus for me it detracts focus from the display. The only tank I've seen that the open top/exposed lighting looks good is:
I'm in the planning stages of a similiar 550 Triton tank. Thanks for this great thread.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back