Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank set!

43ac65aa2969b645bd78c46b5388dbb5.jpg

535d647eaa10376a6f90141addba70ac.jpg

05474022c7d5141648896bcbc9f545d8.jpg

4934fd2333a9262aca09c00ccf8cc845.jpg
Are you satisfied with the quality of the tank? Glass cages has had an uneven reputation.

OP
OP
bdesign

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think so, yes.
It’s my first tank, so I don’t know what to look for (quality wise)...
I had a very experienced reefer over to check it out and they were impressed with the quality especially given the pretty low price.

I WAS astounded that it only shipped with cardboard around it... no crating whatsoever.

OP
OP
bdesign

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suck at keeping this Build Thread dated and so wish that I HAD so that I could easily review the progress.

Aaaaaanyway... videos (HUGE file sizes) taken today.
(Is there a better way to upload videos? I can never see large video files on my cell)

Sitting at my desk at the office:

Attachments

• IMG_4259.MOV
    55.5 MB
  • IMG_4264.MOV
    83.2 MB
  • V2.mp4
    47.7 MB
OP
OP
bdesign

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love how you floated that canopy! Beautiful update. :D

I'm glad you like the floating canopy!

That said, the next FTS (in the next few days) will be a little disappointing to you... ha!

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the fish selection. I don't think it was mentioned. How was the tank buying experience with Glass Cages? Shipping, build quality, communications etc.

OP
OP
bdesign

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the fish selection. I don't think it was mentioned. How was the tank buying experience with Glass Cages? Shipping, build quality, communications etc.

Well... I dealt with Tom (the owner, I think).

I called on Christmas Eve (IIRC), to leave a voicemail (because they were closed), and he answered.

I explained that I had zero experience and needed guidance.

He told me what he would do as far as bulkheads, style, etc., so I ordered it exactly that way.

I called a couple of times and asked to speak with Tom to review a couple of thoughts/questions on functionality.

The first time, I was able to speak to him (less cordial and grumpy, but hey... I’m not a peach, either. Haha).
The second time, no call back or returned email. Eh...

The tank was completed right on time.

Shipping was very sketchy; no crating whatsoever, only some loose cardboard half-taped around the tank. Gheesh.

Overall the tank looks absolutely great, especially for $900 (plus freight).

I would absolutely order another from them.

That said, if I could do it again, I would explore having the bulkhead outside (in addition to) the 8’ length, so that it wouldn’t be visible (it would be inside the tower construction.

Hope that helps

OP
OP
bdesign

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, seriously, working on a shallow build myself, and I love the look of a floating canopy, but I also don't like the light spilling over. Been toying with different types of lighting and different ideas to minimize it. I'd appreciate your feedback.

Well, I'm not sure how I missed your post and question... SORRY!

I couldn't handle the light spill and for what seemed like the POWER OF THE SUN beaming right into my eyeballs when trying to sit and enjoy the tank.

(and by "enjoy," I mean sit down and then nit-pick, judge, get frustrated, and then hop up and work on it)

That said, I don't understand how those with a rimless tank with exposed, hanging lights do it... the light is way too intense and feels like it is causing harm to my eyes.

Last edited:

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build! So you're running 4 hydra 26s and t5's? Any idea on the Par you are getting in the tank right now? I'm considering switching my 8 Bulb t5 fixture out for 3 Hydra 52's and supplement with 4 t5 bulbs (230g 72x30x25).

OP
OP
bdesign

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build! So you're running 4 hydra 26s and t5's? Any idea on the Par you are getting in the tank right now? I'm considering switching my 8 Bulb t5 fixture out for 3 Hydra 52's and supplement with 4 t5 bulbs (230g 72x30x25).

Thanks!

I borrowed a PAR meter and used it once.

I had 200’s up high and 150 on the sand bed, if I recall... BUT, someone posted that I had to have taken the measurement incorrectly because I should have much higher readings...?

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just popped in to read through your thread and do what I do best. Harrangue people! (Yeah, I realize you do not know me but will let you know that it appears we have a similar sense of humor. Mine may be darker or you may simply hide yours better. :p )

Everything is quute aesthetically pleasing, well, except the guy in your user pic! Seriosuly, though, it all turned out very nice. It will be interesting to follow along and see how well the painted MDF holds up. Speaking of that, what primer/paint did you use?

I'm not surprised that you changed the "final" canopy design. How do you access the tank? (Maybe the dumb queation of the day.) Is the far side panel on a long piano hinge? Or will you just break out the sledgehammer every time you need access!

How about snapping some pics of the control(s) section? Also some of the sump. I'm curious to see what all is "under the hood" and how it is run. Plus, since you self-admittedly said you would have liked to have documented the build better, this will give you good reason to start doing that now.

That is all for now but I may have more requests in the near future!

Wishing you and your wife a New Year filled with good health and happiness!

Best-Happy-New-Year-2020-Gif-For-Whatsapp-Instagram.gif

OP
OP
bdesign

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just popped in to read through your thread and do what I do best. Harrangue people! (Yeah, I realize you do not know me but will let you know that it appears we have a similar sense of humor. Mine may be darker or you may simply hide yours better. :p )

Everything is quute aesthetically pleasing, well, except the guy in your user pic! Seriosuly, though, it all turned out very nice. It will be interesting to follow along and see how well the painted MDF holds up. Speaking of that, what primer/paint did you use?

I'm not surprised that you changed the "final" canopy design. How do you access the tank? (Maybe the dumb queation of the day.) Is the far side panel on a long piano hinge? Or will you just break out the sledgehammer every time you need access!

How about snapping some pics of the control(s) section? Also some of the sump. I'm curious to see what all is "under the hood" and how it is run. Plus, since you self-admittedly said you would have liked to have documented the build better, this will give you good reason to start doing that now.

That is all for now but I may have more requests in the near future!

Wishing you and your wife a New Year filled with good health and happiness!

Best-Happy-New-Year-2020-Gif-For-Whatsapp-Instagram.gif

uhhh... access the tank?
oops
Haha

I used Behr Ultra Stain-Blocking Paint & Primer in One.

My profile photo... The tank shares a characteristic with me - best viewed from a distance. Haha

Both sides of the canopy flip up via piano hinges.

And I’m blushing that you want to see under my hood... bahaha

It’s a hot mess under there - not sure I’m prepared to be judged so harshly!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uhhh... access the tank?
oops
Haha

I used Behr Ultra Stain-Blocking Paint & Primer in One.

My profile photo... The tank shares a characteristic with me - best viewed from a distance. Haha

Both sides of the canopy flip up via piano hinges.

And I’m blushing that you want to see under my hood... bahaha

It’s a hot mess under there - not sure I’m prepared to be judged so harshly!

Now I'm really interested to see how the MDF holds up with Behr. I've used Behr products out the wazoo (that mean a lot) but am not so sure I would have went with an all-in-one Behr product. Especially on the inside of the stand.

Well, you have me on "from a distance" because I always say, "I'm handsome from a distance moving at a speed greater than 75mph!"

Which piano hinges did you use? Did you coat them with anything to help prevent rust if they're not SS?

Hot mess, or not, honesty in reefing! ;)

Also, maybe share a pic of that 4 wheeled bucket of bolts, under the cover, in the background of a pic from the beginning of this thread?

OP
OP
bdesign

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skin of the stand is pin-nailed to the structure, so if it DOES start to get cranky on me, it’s easily peeled off and replaced.
I’ve peeled and reapplied the skin on one side already to further trim a door opening.

The hinges are stainless steel, so hopefully they’ll last.

“Bucket of bolts”!!?
Now you’ve done went and hurt Betty’s feelings.

1677D200-617E-4880-8FDB-B20C203EA210.jpeg

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back