Sump for biocube 32?

kodak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I was wondering if anybody has any advice on adding a sump to a biocube 32.
Im going to have a heavy bio-load, i removed the lid and back chambers but it won't be enough for my skimmer, phosphate reactor, ato, etc.
I don't need anything sleek i just need more room for the equipment, any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's what I'm planning but Im not sure how I would plumb it, that's the issue
the only slightly tricky part is drilling the display - check out my build thread if you like, I have a DIY build there including sump and plumbing. I'm also happy to answer any questions you have.

OP
OP
kodak

kodak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only slightly tricky part is drilling the display - check out my build thread if you like, I have a DIY build there including sump and plumbing. I'm also happy to answer any questions you have.
I've heard a couple people used the hob intank overflow box and attached plumbing to that, not sure if that's an option. I'd prefer to avoid drilling the tank, i would do it but I honestly don't think I can even move it at this point

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard a couple people used the hob intank overflow box and attached plumbing to that, not sure if that's an option. I'd prefer to avoid drilling the tank, i would do it but I honestly don't think I can even move it at this point
HOB overflow is always an option, but personally it scares me if it ever fails you'll overflow the display. Drilling is much easier than a lot of people think, and it allows you to have the security of an emergency drain in the overflow.

OP
OP
kodak

kodak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOB overflow is always an option, but personally it scares me if it ever fails you'll overflow the display. Drilling is much easier than a lot of people think, and it allows you to have the security of an emergency drain in the overflow.
Makes sense. I wish I had done the plumbing before filling the tank, at this point I'll probably just try finding a hob skimmer that would be compatible with the chambers

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense. I wish I had done the plumbing before filling the tank, at this point I'll probably just try finding a hob skimmer that would be compatible with the chambers
you could also block off the inflow to the rear chamber and drain it a bit to allow for drilling, just a thought.

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I was wondering if anybody has any advice on adding a sump to a biocube 32.
Im going to have a heavy bio-load, i removed the lid and back chambers but it won't be enough for my skimmer, phosphate reactor, ato, etc.
I don't need anything sleek i just need more room for the equipment, any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
I drilled my biocube used the eshopps eclipse overflow and added a sump. If you ever plan on using a fleece roller, the klir 4 works well, just control the fleece filter motor with the apex.
The eshopps nano refugium sump fits into the cabinet with enough space left to mount dosers and co2 scrubber. The sponge filter in the eshopps sump is a detritus trap and parts of the sump are impossible to clean. Fiji cube one or the DIY version I found is much better. Link posted on my thread.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 48 43.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 56 50.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 7 6.3%
Back