Sump for biocube 32?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kodak
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

kodak

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 1, 2024
Messages
40
Reaction score
17
Location
Seattle
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I was wondering if anybody has any advice on adding a sump to a biocube 32.
Im going to have a heavy bio-load, i removed the lid and back chambers but it won't be enough for my skimmer, phosphate reactor, ato, etc.
I don't need anything sleek i just need more room for the equipment, any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
 
I think a 10 gallon standard aquarium would be perfect for a DIY sump.
 
I think a 10 gallon standard aquarium would be perfect for a DIY sump.
Yeah that's what I'm planning but Im not sure how I would plumb it, that's the issue
 
Yeah that's what I'm planning but Im not sure how I would plumb it, that's the issue
the only slightly tricky part is drilling the display - check out my build thread if you like, I have a DIY build there including sump and plumbing. I'm also happy to answer any questions you have.
 
the only slightly tricky part is drilling the display - check out my build thread if you like, I have a DIY build there including sump and plumbing. I'm also happy to answer any questions you have.
I've heard a couple people used the hob intank overflow box and attached plumbing to that, not sure if that's an option. I'd prefer to avoid drilling the tank, i would do it but I honestly don't think I can even move it at this point
 
I've heard a couple people used the hob intank overflow box and attached plumbing to that, not sure if that's an option. I'd prefer to avoid drilling the tank, i would do it but I honestly don't think I can even move it at this point
HOB overflow is always an option, but personally it scares me if it ever fails you'll overflow the display. Drilling is much easier than a lot of people think, and it allows you to have the security of an emergency drain in the overflow.
 
HOB overflow is always an option, but personally it scares me if it ever fails you'll overflow the display. Drilling is much easier than a lot of people think, and it allows you to have the security of an emergency drain in the overflow.
Makes sense. I wish I had done the plumbing before filling the tank, at this point I'll probably just try finding a hob skimmer that would be compatible with the chambers
 
Makes sense. I wish I had done the plumbing before filling the tank, at this point I'll probably just try finding a hob skimmer that would be compatible with the chambers
you could also block off the inflow to the rear chamber and drain it a bit to allow for drilling, just a thought.
 
Hey, I was wondering if anybody has any advice on adding a sump to a biocube 32.
Im going to have a heavy bio-load, i removed the lid and back chambers but it won't be enough for my skimmer, phosphate reactor, ato, etc.
I don't need anything sleek i just need more room for the equipment, any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
I drilled my biocube used the eshopps eclipse overflow and added a sump. If you ever plan on using a fleece roller, the klir 4 works well, just control the fleece filter motor with the apex.
The eshopps nano refugium sump fits into the cabinet with enough space left to mount dosers and co2 scrubber. The sponge filter in the eshopps sump is a detritus trap and parts of the sump are impossible to clean. Fiji cube one or the DIY version I found is much better. Link posted on my thread.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/biocube-32-with-sump-skip-cycle.1020132/page-5
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new