Sump for Biocube 32

bfd211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I have a pretty well-established Biocube 32 with live rock and softies and I'm thinking of taking the filtration to next level by adding a sump, skimmer and UV in the cabinet below. That said, the placement of the tank doesn't allow for much back wall space for a HOB overflow box so I am considering drilling through the untempered glass back wall of chamber 2 and installing a bulkhead so I can run flex hose down to a sump in the cabinet below. The return pump would connect right to the return spout. Anyone here tried this lunacy before and if so, what should I be prepared for? I've done the hole-drilling and plumbing homework.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds pretty cool. Might you just plump a large UV sterilizer instead of a sump the same way? I guess it depends on what you are trying to achieve.

OP
OP
bfd211

bfd211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds pretty cool. Might you just plump a large UV sterilizer instead of a sump the same way? I guess it depends on what you are trying to achieve.
I guess I could keep it to just the UV with an in-line pump but I'd like a protein skimmer in a sump as well and maybe down the road even some Chaeto. I bought the Coralife protein skimmer for chamber 1 and all it did was fill the tank with micro bubbles. Didn't skim at all.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to knock down your innovations / good ideas, but usually people like BioCubes for the very fact that they are 'self-contained'-- which really won't be the case once you start poking holes in it. It almost sounds like you are ready for a bigger tank (new project, drilled for a sump), and retire the Biocube as a great quarantine or hospital tank. Just a thought. ;Cat

OP
OP
bfd211

bfd211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to knock down your innovations / good ideas, but usually people like BioCubes for the very fact that they are 'self-contained'-- which really won't be the case once you start poking holes in it. It almost sounds like you are ready for a bigger tank (new project, drilled for a sump), and retire the Biocube as a great quarantine or hospital tank. Just a thought. ;Cat
Deep down I know you’re right. I just wanted to include some additional equipment like a skimmer and a UV which I currently don’t have room to add on

TheRealAFISHionado

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I have a pretty well-established Biocube 32 with live rock and softies and I'm thinking of taking the filtration to next level by adding a sump, skimmer and UV in the cabinet below. That said, the placement of the tank doesn't allow for much back wall space for a HOB overflow box so I am considering drilling through the untempered glass back wall of chamber 2 and installing a bulkhead so I can run flex hose down to a sump in the cabinet below. The return pump would connect right to the return spout. Anyone here tried this lunacy before and if so, what should I be prepared for? I've done the hole-drilling and plumbing homework.
Are you going to try this with a water filled tank?

I don’t think is lunacy, I brainstormed a while about something similar but instead of drilling the back I wanted to drill three holes on the bottom (drain and emergency drain in chamber 2, return on chamber 3) I'll add a sump underneath so I can have a bigger refugium, skimmer and return pump.

OP
OP
bfd211

bfd211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to try this with a water filled tank?

I don’t think is lunacy, I brainstormed a while about something similar but instead of drilling the back I wanted to drill three holes on the bottom (drain and emergency drain in chamber 2, return on chamber 3) I'll add a sump underneath so I can have a bigger refugium, skimmer and return pump.
Did it work? And yes the tank is filled with water, animals and live rock. Sounds pretty daunting

TheRealAFISHionado

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did it work? And yes the tank is filled with water, animals and live rock. Sounds pretty dauntingI
I haven’t done it yet, but I’ll start a build thread soon.

I wouldn’t do it on a filled tank. Too much stress... Why don’t you set a temporary tank or put everyone in buckets, do the drilling and transfer everyone back. You could take a couple of days to finish and everyone will be safe.

glennkaufman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I had the same idea on my small Biocube. I ended up hanging it off the side of the return chamber. A little bit crazy to start, but I wanted to see about running refugium in sump. Finally just removed the lid all together to run AI Prime 16HD.

IMG_5581.JPG

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back