Sump Frag System

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm beginning to question if we have propagation systems backwards. In an effort to expand the footprint of grow area for corals in my aquarium, the only place left was the sump. So I removed my macro-algae, put in egg-crate, and dropped in a AI Sol Blue module that I had as a spare.

What I'm seeing is that corals are plating out faster than in the display tank. The sump is definitely dirtier than the display, all the heavy particles from the display end up there. Perhaps the corals are being feed better in the sump and is causing the increased growth rate? Who knows, but I was surprised to see how well the corals are doing in the sump.

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to stab a few ideas in here:

Light height/intensity; are they the same?
Flow, same between DT and sump?
Fish, how many fish in your DT vs sump?

The food would be something I would also bring up, had you not.
I run some corals in my sump as well. However, mine have been mostly acans, blastos, mushrooms and a few others. I have really good growth from my acans vs my DT acans. Light and flow are the two factors that I can think of right off that could help my situation.

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to stab a few ideas in here:

Light height/intensity; are they the same?
Flow, same between DT and sump?
Fish, how many fish in your DT vs sump?

The food would be something I would also bring up, had you not.
I run some corals in my sump as well. However, mine have been mostly acans, blastos, mushrooms and a few others. I have really good growth from my acans vs my DT acans. Light and flow are the two factors that I can think of right off that could help my situation.

Hard to say on light intensity, the lighting in the DT is mostly T5's, the sump light is an AI Sol Blue.

Flow is pretty low in the sump, most of the flow comes from water passing through. I have one small powerhead in the sump. The DT flow is definitely higher.

No fish in the sump, the coral growing area is pretty small, maybe 13" x 20".

I'll have to try some acans down there next and see how they do.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen some nice corals growing in sumps.If I had some better lighting for mine I would load it up with acans,zoas and brains.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 25 32.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 14.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back