Sump/Fuge Layout help

Dodgersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys,

Setting up a new 90 gallon. Amazon screwed something up internally and sold me the previous generation eshoppes ADV-200 for $86 bucks They had it filed under fish bowls.... anyway, a pic of it is attached, it has two parallel chambers the smaller rear one is designed to be the fuge and the larger front one is supposed to be the skimmer compartment, the far right chamber is the return chamber. Having the fuge in that tiny narrow back compartment is less than ideal, I've thought of a few ways to change things up so I can use the large front compartment for the Fuge, but I'd like some feedback on them, especially from those that have built or modified sumps in the past.

Option 1: change it from a dual channel to single channel. Basically right now water from the overflow drops into the back left corner, where there are flow throughs to both the front and rear chamber, both of those overflow into the far right return chamber. I'll have to do a good bit of modification to make this work, but basically I would plug up the flow through to the front chamber so water coming in only flows through the back chamber, I'd add another piece of plexi to the return compartment side of the bubble trap slightly higher than the front chamber side to prevent backflow. Then on the opposite end of the front chamber (front left) I'll add a piece of plexi with a screened overflow cut in it at the same height as the lower baffle on the bubble trap to add a 4th compartment about 5-6" wide to serve as a return chamber. So basically the original return chamber becomes my skimmer compartment. The Bubble Magus NAC 5.5 skimmer will fit in that compartment: https://www.marinedepot.com/Bubble_...huKNQMFtH7iBbdyoc-5XFWUy5FqEjlKRoCFNwQAvD_BwE

Do you guys think this will work in practice, not just on paper? Am I asking for trouble altering the way water flows through the sump? Are there any potential problems I'm not seeing?

My 2nd option is to not modify the layout but use a HOB skimmer like the reef octopus 2000 on the rear compartment, I've got enough room behind the sump in the stand, but I'd have to settle for a pretty big drop off in skimmer effectiveness, wouldn't I? Can anyone hazard a guess at how big the drop off in effectiveness between the bubble magus and the reef octopus will be? Any feedback/thoughts/ideas are appreciated! Thanks!

IMG_0724.JPG

David Mc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a coincidence. I reported to Amazon three days ago that the items description was wrong.
They sent me a thank you but haven't changed it. Well maybe the price.
Sorry I am no help on the redesign

OP
OP
Dodgersfan

Dodgersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took them a really long time to ship it out to me, like over a week until I got the ship notification I was actually kind of surprised they shipped it... they jacked the price up to $400 the day after I bought it though... it was a discontinued model and I think they just have a software program lowering the price a few bucks every week until they all sell out... it makes me want to try and see what other discontinued products I can find :D

USMC4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a coincidence. I reported to Amazon three days ago that the items description was wrong.
They sent me a thank you but haven't changed it. Well maybe the price.
Sorry I am no help on the redesign

Why would you tell them to fix the price lol. I would have gotten one if it was that cheap lol. I can't afford it now lol.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved to DIY forum, as per OP request

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate these designs where the chambers are all being fed through different flow patterns, I don't find them to very efficient. The problem I see with your first design is that you wouldn't get optimum flow to your skimmer. I'm contemplating scraping my refugium on one tank for an algae scrubber. I operate an algae reactor on my my 90. I have reactors on 3 tanks and they benefit my tanks better than the refugium I'm running on one.

What I would do is use the refugium section to either feed an algae reactor or scrubber, you could also use that section to feed any other reactors as well. I use a bubble magus curve 5 on my 90, it's not really the greatest skimmer; it was the best I could afford to fit in the sump I'm using. Trying to use a hob skimmer on a sump might be tricky because of the water level and the height of the skimmer. You'll likely be pulling too high of head pressure which will diminish the effectiveness of the skimmer. If I had a larger skimmer section I would have researched other skimmers.

OP
OP
Dodgersfan

Dodgersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate these designs where the chambers are all being fed through different flow patterns, I don't find them to very efficient. The problem I see with your first design is that you wouldn't get optimum flow to your skimmer. I'm contemplating scraping my refugium on one tank for an algae scrubber. I operate an algae reactor on my my 90. I have reactors on 3 tanks and they benefit my tanks better than the refugium I'm running on one.

What I would do is use the refugium section to either feed an algae reactor or scrubber, you could also use that section to feed any other reactors as well. I use a bubble magus curve 5 on my 90, it's not really the greatest skimmer; it was the best I could afford to fit in the sump I'm using. Trying to use a hob skimmer on a sump might be tricky because of the water level and the height of the skimmer. You'll likely be pulling too high of head pressure which will diminish the effectiveness of the skimmer. If I had a larger skimmer section I would have researched other skimmers.
that's kind of what i was thinking with the HOB skimmer idea, in regards to where you were saying to put the reactors. How would the Reef Octopus HOB compare to the Bubble Magus in sump skimmer above quality wise?

I'm starting to think i might be making this more complicated than it needs to be and i might be better off just doing chaeto in the small back compartment like its designed to, and going with the biggest in sump skimmer that will fit in the front compartment, a Reef Octopus 150 slim will fit up there, 6" diameter. the only other thing i had wanted to do was keep miracle mud in the refugium section, but i suppose i could put the return pump on about a 3 or 4" stand and put the miracle mud in the last section?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back