Sump height in relation to Display tank.

Gibsonn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am in the very beginning stages of planing my first reef build. I am wanting to place the reef tank approximately 8" above floor level. Tank is 60x24x24.
I then would like to place the sump at floor level turned 90 degrees from the tank. Sump would sit roughly 10" or so below the water level of the tank and overflow.

Would this be enough of an elevation distance for the tank to drain sufficiently into the sump? Would this even work?

Quick sketch-up to give a better idea
Screen Shot 2022-11-15 at 4.14.23 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-15 at 4.22.24 AM.png

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think it might be to low to drain efficiently.

Certainly not an expert by any means, just doesn't look to be enough "fall" for the drains to works properly.

Maybe if the drain line emptied from the overflow down to the floor, then back up into the sump. That might give it enough "push".

OP
OP
G

Gibsonn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Certainly not an expert by any means, just doesn't look to be enough "fall" for the drains to works properly.

Maybe if the drain line emptied from the overflow down to the floor, then back up into the sump. That might give it enough "push".

Yeah, thats my fear is that there isn't enough distance. I can increase the height of the display tank but not by much. There is a wall mounted TV above the location and I need to leave enough space for the lights above the tank.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would work fine. Dont skimp on drain size though.
Here is a pic of my sump system during an upgrade. Those 5 holes are the drain height going into the sump compared to the tank height on the other side of the wall. Those are for 2 tanks, 180 and 240 gallons.
The 5 holes across the top are above the tank rims so the distance between them is roughly how much head height my drains have.
i-brtSNSh-M.jpg

I have a question for you.
How much "fall" is here to flow 1200 gph?
212251-eshopps-pf1200-overflowbox-an_1_.webp

Between the front and back box which uses a simple siphon.

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be fine. I'd have no concerns with Durso (other than I'd prefer to use a siphon system on a 150 gal tank :)), siphon system like Bean might need to go up a pipe size to account for the short fall if anything.

Bernoulli calc (siphon) for me puts a 10" drop at roughly 2000 gph for 1.5" sch40 PVC and roughly 900 gph for 1" sch40 PVC with a fairly generous modifier for friction on both (probably higher gph in practice). With a more typical drop of 30", both numbers go up roughly 150%, so plenty of wiggle room should you decide to change it later.

OP
OP
G

Gibsonn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would work fine. Dont skimp on drain size though.
Here is a pic of my sump system during an upgrade. Those 5 holes are the drain height going into the sump compared to the tank height on the other side of the wall. Those are for 2 tanks, 180 and 240 gallons.
The 5 holes across the top are above the tank rims so the distance between them is roughly how much head height my drains have.
i-brtSNSh-M.jpg

Nice setup. Sounds like my idea may work then.

OP
OP
G

Gibsonn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be fine. I'd have no concerns with Durso (other than I'd prefer to use a siphon system on a 150 gal tank :)), siphon system like Bean might need to go up a pipe size to account for the short fall if anything.

Bernoulli calc (siphon) for me puts a 10" drop at roughly 2000 gph for 1.5" sch40 PVC and roughly 900 gph for 1" sch40 PVC with a fairly generous modifier for friction on both (probably higher gph in practice). With a more typical drop of 30", both numbers go up roughly 150%, so plenty of wiggle room should you decide to change it later.

Tank Im looking at SCA 150 Peninsula (60x24x24) is drilled for a 16" Shadow Overflow (3x1.5" drains).
I have a few inches probably to increase tank height if needed but not much due to light clearance over tank, but its sounds like Im good at 10".

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back