Sump help

Lavabrine ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been having my sump running for about 4 or 5 days now and it seem that in the return pump chamber. The water level is very low but when setting up the sump on the aquarium the sump was full and the aquarium display level was at a comfortable level. But, now the return pump chamber water level has drop to a point the pump is sucking in air. I did top off the tank with rod water and it's still doing it so anyone have any tips on this?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been having my sump running for about 4 or 5 days now and it seem that in the return pump chamber. The water level is very low but when setting up the sump on the aquarium the sump was full and the aquarium display level was at a comfortable level. But, now the return pump chamber water level has drop to a point the pump is sucking in air. I did top off the tank with rod water and it's still doing it so anyone have any tips on this?
Did you check the area the pump is in for the waterlevel to account for evaporation? It should be fully submerged and it would blow air like that. If all pumps are submerged and its still doing that it might be a bad pump or intensity needs to be turned down. At least thats my two initial thoughts. Maybe someone else can chime in? Or if you have a LFS that could come out and look at it for you that might be an option

OP
OP
L

Lavabrine ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you check the area the pump is in for the waterlevel to account for evaporation? It should be fully submerged and it would blow air like that. If all pumps are submerged and its still doing that it might be a bad pump or intensity needs to be turned down. At least thats my two initial thoughts. Maybe someone else can chime in? Or if you have a LFS that could come out and look at it for you that might be an option
I topped off the tank yesterday and some today so evaporation isn't a issue. The pump is new and it's on the lowest setting. And my lfs doesn't do look up on aquariums

OP
OP
L

Lavabrine ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the water levels of both sump and display when the pump is off.

Attachments

• 20230713_233348.jpg
    20230713_233348.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 20230713_233340.jpg
    20230713_233340.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 39

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you need two piece of tape..pump off top up the tank until the return chamber and sump is full to a safe level...pump on the put tape on that mark and top off water to keep it there

OP
OP
L

Lavabrine ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you need two piece of tape..pump off top up the tank until the return chamber and sump is full to a safe level...pump on the put tape on that mark and top off water to keep it there
I'm gonna get something like a paint marker instead of tape so it looks better imo burn I'm trying to figure thus out

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you fill the display and adjust the weir to get desired water level in dt (remember to allow for waves) then adjust the sump with pump off to desired level. now when you lose power the sump wont overflow. turn pump on the this is the return chaamber running level and it needs to be maintain to keep sg constant..

OP
OP
L

Lavabrine ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you fill the display and adjust the weir to get desired water level in dt (remember to allow for waves) then adjust the sump with pump off to desired level. now when you lose power the sump wont overflow. turn pump on the this is the return chaamber running level and it needs to be maintain to keep sg constant..
So add more water in the display with pump off? Personally I just want this to work lol.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the water levels of both sump and display when the pump is off.
The return water level does look low to me in the picture but the red glow makes it hard to confrim for sure

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other thing to consider is the GPH of your return pump. If it is set-to high its possible that the down flow from the tank can't keep up. I have my pump running at 45%. You want 3x to 10x turnover in your sump.

OP
OP
L

Lavabrine ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other thing to consider is the GPH of your return pump. If it is set-to high its possible that the down flow from the tank can't keep up. I have my pump running at 45%. You want 3x to 10x turnover in your sump.
My pump is on the lowest setting and it's a jebao sine DCW-3500

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Appears the pump is pumping water to the tank faster than the water is coming in to the sump and needs to be balanced- How:
slow down the return pump flow allowing chamber to fill back up then increase the output little by little allowing the pump water area to cover the pump by at least 2 inches. You may have to add water to tank to make this completely successful

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
L

Lavabrine ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appears the pump is pumping water to the tank faster than the water is coming in to the sump and needs to be balanced- How:
slow down the return pump flow allowing chamber to fill back up then increase the output little by little allowing the pump water area to cover the pump by at least 2 inches. You may have to add water to tank to make this completely successful
I have the pump on the lowest setting. But .you worry about adding more water is it'll end up overflow

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back