Sump high water gunk net/blocker?

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the return pump is off (water change, power outage, whatever), the water level in the sump rises, obviously. One annoying downside is that stuff (macroalgae, whatever) then has a means of moving from, say, the refugium section to the return pump section. Sure, it can be manually moved back, but it seems like there could be a way to stop that. Maybe a rigid egg crate that goes to the top. Maybe some sort of floating bar that pulls up a screen. Anyone doing anything cool for this problem?

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without pics it's difficult to give accurate advice. I have my sump designed where this can not happen.

From the sounds of your issue, it may be as simple as reducing the amount of water in sump during power off that it doesn't overflow you refugium. That sounds like easiest solution, without being able to see how yours is designed.

OP
OP
KenRexford

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Trigger Systems crystal 30. The water level is designed to stay at 9.5 inches during normal use. There’s no plausible way to have the return chamber low enough to accommodate the water going in after shutdown. Thus, it always will cross the last baffle.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back