Sump ideas / Help wanted - come on give me your opinion...........

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures tell most........... there are 2 x returns from over flow to roller matt
The two return back to tank, 1 goes though UV.
There is one emergency overflow on the right with a couple of 90deg fitting and short straight so it will splash.

Section 1 - roller matt and skimmer - constant water height.

Bubble trap - over - under - over (do I need 3 dividers?)

Section 2 - 1) DCP 3500 - return pump to tank
2) DCP 3500 - return through UV sterilizer (to the right of the sump ) back to tank
3) DCP 3500 - through Algae Scrubber to section 3

Bubble trap - over - under

Section 3 - Water in from algae scrubber over flows back to section 2

- I then need to mount the algae scrubber on top of the sump, I was thinking a glass sheet on top of the middle baffles.
- Do I need 3 sections?
- Only have 2 x sump sections with the algae scrubber returning to the skimmer section 1?
- I would like some sort of live rock or similar of additional bacteria growth, part of the original idea was for ceramic blocks in to chamber 3, with the algae scrubber providing the water flow.

Help - ideas please?

IMG_5622.JPG

IMG_5623.JPG

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this for the 90 gallon from your build thread? I'm curious why you are returning from the center section instead of just progressing left to right like most sump setups? Not that you can't be different.:) If you went left to right you could definitely ditch the 3rd baffle and just be 2 and 2.

Multi pumps for redundancy? Just one pump through the UV would be enough for a 90. In all my years I've never had a return pump fail so I just see the 2 pump thing as a way to boost sales.

That's alot of filtration, is this tank going to be jacked with livestock? I think I would leave out the scrubber until I knew I actually needed it.

Otherwise your baffle layout is fine although the water level will sit quite high based on your baffle height. Just make sure there is enough room for draining water during a power outage.

OP
OP
Dukereefnz

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shwareefer

Thanks and great comments.
My thoughts were to have a quite area on the right (3) for live rock etc.
But I think your right.... left to right..... 2- 2 baffles.

Sump level............ cheers of picking that up, slipped my thoughts!!!!

The idea was to be able to run the UV at different flow rates when needed, but still have good flow with the second pump.

I will add a manifold for the algae scrubber and reactor for future use.

Really appreciate your comments !!!!!
I will re do and update.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back