Sump in a Marineland Stand

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tommeyboy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Tommeyboy

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 14, 2025
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Location
United States
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reef tank on a Marineland stand and want to add a small sump to it. The tank is in our main hallway and it needs to look finished.




Does anyone have any recommendations?

reef-tank.png
 
I don't see how you can put a sump in that stand without gutting the bottom to make room. Also going to need a hob overflow which aren't the cleanest looking setup unless you plan to drill the tank.

PS. You said small sump but it has to be large enough to hold the water that will back flow from the tank when the return pump is off or it will overflow and flood your floor.
 
Agreed with @exnisstech

I think if you want a sump, the proper way to do this would be to buy/build a new stand and drill the tank. The fish can stay in rubbermaid bins for a few days, no problem. This gives you ample time to do it right.

There is nothing wrong with HOB overflows but they are definitely even noisier than a regular overflow and I would be hesitant to put one in a main living room area.

Those stands are sketchy to begin with, I wouldn't be messing with it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.7%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new