Sump in another room

leon.1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys. So I have realized that I can run my sump from my fish room but I have a few questions. Also, it will be 30 to 50 ft to the tank.
1. Should I increase my return/and drain lines diameter until I get to the tank? How big should I go?

2. My drain lines need to be at a downward angle as much as possible right?

3. Anything you wish you knew before you did this that you didn’t?

4. Head height only refers to total vertical distance only correct? And what if it’s angled and not straight up and down?

I’m still in the preliminary stages of planning and deciding on doing this or not.

Last edited:

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To understand implications of diameter change of pipe through which fluid flows, one need to apply Poiselle's Law:
1697514232057.png

I am actually not joking, I used to know all the calculations.
"The point here is that the flow rate is very sensitive to changes in the cross-sectional area of the pipe; small changes in the pipe radius are amplified with 4th power dependence, producing a very large change in volumetric flow rate, assuming all other parameters stay the same."
So if you want you can do the calculations, but moral of the story is that you will need much wider pipe to achieve good return from sump to DT, or you will need more powerful return pump.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back