OP
1112-425XL

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean mine if there’s too much crap in there with a shop vac. It keeps the nutrients and pollution down. I do have some sponge growing in there on a baffle. I used to have live rock in there, all that does is trap detritus so I took out the rock….i still have ceramic bioballs in a large mesh bag.. been doing that for years.
Never tried a shopvac? I have sponges, spirobid worms, bio ball, peppermint shrimp and an elephant snail in mine.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's usually when I decide mine needs a little cleaning.
When I walk through very successful LFS with nice frag tanks I always look at their sumps. Most look like complete mess. Some are well over a decade old and never cleaned. I just prune back my chaeto and scrape a little algae off the glass each week but that's it. I change sock every 2 weeks. Empty skimmer cup weekly but never detail clean the sump. There is so much biodiversity and microfauna there.

nemotang2019

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to clean it weekly but then I got lazy. Haven’t cleaned it in 6 months now and I don’t see/smell any difference.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not use filter socks, a skimmer and my sump/refugium is a 30 gallon XH. It has a more than decade old clown , a pistol shrimp and a few nassarius snails. Its been up probably 4 years or more and I never have cleaned it, except the glass. It also has a DSB, rock and macroalgae in it.

OP
OP
1112-425XL

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't clean my sump.

The only things that get cleaned once a year are the return pump and the skimmer pump. The skimmer cup cleaned once a week
I do the skimmer cup every couple weeks, the whole skimmer every couple months, and the return pump every six months or so.

steveweast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'm the unicorn here. My OCD will not allow a dirty sump. With every month or so water change.....I completely empty the sump, remove and clean all equipment...and fully wipe down and dry the the sump. This is today's view after about 3 weeks and nearing the time for the next water change and cleaning.

Attachments

• IMG_4852.jpg
    IMG_4852.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 56
OP
OP
1112-425XL

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'm the unicorn here. My OCD will not allow a dirty sump. With every month or so water change.....I completely empty the sump, remove and clean all equipment...and fully wipe down and dry the the sump. This is today's view after about 3 weeks and nearing the time for the next water change and cleaning.

I'll give 1 clue. .
To each his own...

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
About once every year ( maybe a little longer 14-15 months) I need to do a deep clean on my skimmer. At this time I clean out the skimmer section and the return section in my sump. I leave the refugium section alone.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back