SUMP! Keep it clean or leave it be??

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much to the dismay of my Elephant snail, every couple months I give my sump a total cleaning. Scrape the glass, brush off heaters, scoop out the loose whatever that stuff is on the bottom. Do you clean your Sump or just leave it be?

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My intentions are to leave it alone to do it's thing. However, my GFO reactor seams to leak very small particles of GFO which, if left to build up over time can find their way into the reactor where it clogs up the inlet!
To that end, I hoover out the chamber with my reactor and skimmer in once in a while but leave the rest.

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
My fat chocolate chip starfish would be upset if I cleaned the sump, he keeps it pretty clean
That's interesting, I've never heard of keeping a chocolate chip starfish in there. Do you have any light over sump or anything else? Do you feed the starfish or does it just graze on whatever.

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let it freakin ride!!!
FBC74BB0-07DF-4AFA-9597-5056BE092A9D.jpeg

Thats a nice sampling of GHA entangled with what i though was dead chaeto which is now making a crazy comeback, sprinkled in with a few aiptasia, a butt load of pods, worms, and other microscopic fauna. It’s probably a more diverse ecosystem than my display lol!!!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting, I've never heard of keeping a chocolate chip starfish in there. Do you have any light over sump or anything else? Do you feed the starfish or does it just graze on whatever.
Mine has a light timed with the dt lights for him. And I peek on him daily to see if he needs food but he doesnt and just keeps the sump clean! Fat starfish too! And yeah he came to me by accident in an order and I realized he was eating my corals (had no idea that starfish did that since I only keep serpent stars qnd they dont do that) but didnt want to feed him to a harlequin shrimp. No LFS would take him since they were stocked with them, so I put him in the sump! Been i. There about 4 months now

OP
OP
1112-425XL

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let it freakin ride!!!
FBC74BB0-07DF-4AFA-9597-5056BE092A9D.jpeg

Thats a nice sampling of GHA entangled with what i though was dead chaeto which is now making a crazy comeback, sprinkled in with a few aiptasia, a butt load of pods, worms, and other microscopic fauna. It’s probably a more diverse ecosystem than my display lol!!!
You should bottle that and sell it!!

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let it ride for a couple of years. I too have 3/5 to 5/5 of a resident chocochip starfish,thx to harlequin shrimp.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never cleaned my refugia and sump bottoms. Couldn't see the bottom in the rock filled refugia, but the sumps collected a thick mud. Maybe 1/2 to 1" overall.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Much to the dismay of my Elephant snail, every couple months I give my sump a total cleaning. Scrape the glass, brush off heaters, scoop out the loose whatever that stuff is on the bottom. Do you clean your Sump or just leave it be?
I clear the front acrylic panel but leave the sump alone as its part of bio-diversity

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't picked a strategy yet but recently placed Mexican Turbos in mine to clean up hair algae. I question whether manual removal is better for nutrient levels since the algae is being removed from the system rather than consumed and remaining in the tank as detritus which will break down into nutrient.

seamonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean mine if there’s too much crap in there with a shop vac. It keeps the nutrients and pollution down. I do have some sponge growing in there on a baffle. I used to have live rock in there, all that does is trap detritus so I took out the rock….i still have ceramic bioballs in a large mesh bag.. been doing that for years.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back